Ch. 17: Legend's Availability

August 23 | Night

At the sound of footsteps racing up the museum stairs, I grasped the stiff gold reins. They turned to leather in my hands, and my dragon swiftly slithered around the cart. I slapped the reins to the horses, and, for a split second, I wrestled with two fiery steeds as brilliant as the sun. Blinding light flashed from their manes and tails.

"Hee-Yah!" I goaded them.

They galloped from the platform with a thunderous clash of hooves. Racing in a golden arc along the wall, the cart jostled along behind. The dazzling brilliance of the chariot knocked Pete and the backup he had called off their feet, and Dex and Nixie let out startled cries. My eyes widened as I fought for control. It was like bullriding in a china shop. Or like Phaeton trying to prove he was a god's son.

The chariot whooshed past a statue, almost blowing it over. Items rattled in their cases. Dex covered her eyes in dismay, ever the academic. Like her, I pictured the priceless historical relics being destroyed and knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were to blame. I mustered the strength to subdue the runaway cart, determined not to be defeated. Muscles bulged along my forearms as I manhandled the reins.

Following my command, my dragon darted through the horses' legs and sped toward the window. The serpent burst through the glass with a loud crash, its massive body a monochrome rainbow of scarlets and reds. Gold outlined its length as shiny jagged shards scattered through the air, harmlessly bouncing off its scales. With another shout, I snapped the reins and guided the horses to follow.

We cleared the opening, and my dragon encircled the chariot round and round until the cart rapidly transformed. I felt my stomach flip-flop as I was enveloped by the driver's seat of a car. Nixie exclaimed in wonder as woodgrain and leather enclosed us, and seatbelts materialized. Dragon scales shimmered along the windows before fading to the perfect tint. A windshield replaced the open front, and I shifted gears as the horses became the hood of a gold hypercar. The engine didn't roar, barely making a sound. It was electric.

I gave a triumphant hoot. "Let's go, ladies!"

The cutting-edge Lotus Evija touched down with the dragon alongside us. Dex laughed triumphantly as we sped into the parking lot. Before the security team could remotely start their vehicles, I was on the highway, weaving through traffic. I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw the guards upstairs standing in the shattered window, their faces a mixture of confusion and disbelief.

Nixie collected her thoughts and cast her incantation, "You won't remember. You won't remember. You didn't see what happened. You didn't see what happened." Her soundwaves became visible ripples that sped toward the men.

She was getting stronger, I realized.

I stared ahead, trying to avoid thinking about the secrets I kept and the lies I couldn't let her siren song force me to tell. I thought about Darcy Cyprian's offer. With my parents' firm refusal to send me money, I had seriously considered contacting the vampire. However, I couldn't get past my attachment to Nixie and Dex, and a small part of me wanted to prove Fitz wrong. I wasn't the bad guy he thought I was. I was a desperate man in a complicated situation.

But the heady rush of excitement soon scrubbed my mind of any other concerns. We had done it. No one would believe the men if they told them the chariot had become a car and driven off. We wouldn't be hounded by the police, nor would our identities be revealed in news reports. There would be no trouble whatsoever.

I changed lanes and shifted gears, accelerating smoothly. As we merged onto my exit, the center console lit up with octagonal controls. I lowered the windows and turned up the stereo for us. Electronic dance music pumped through the speakers, thumping rhythmically in time with my heart.