5: Poison Ivy

I went for walk after potions. I have 2nd period free, a whole hour to myself. Pansy has history of magic, I can't think of anything more boring. We are encouraged to use free lessons for studying, which I usually do, if not being distracted. However I haven't been to the bench since last year and I couldn't think where else I would go. I told Enzo I was going for a walk, which is partly true I guess. Since fourth year, id come and sit at this bench whenever I wanted a break. A way of regaining control of my thoughts.

The Bench backs onto the far end of the castle, overlooking a lake, surrounded by willow trees. Uncontrollable poison ivy began to grow in my first few years here, and the area was sectioned off and became forbidden to enter. Especially after some 5th years were sent to the hospital wing after trying to make out in a secluded area. Instead of getting rid of the Ivy, Sprout put a spell on it so it wouldn't grow any larger. The ivy intertwines with the other bushes, however can easily be avoided if you watch your step. I've walked this way often enough to recognise where I can walk safely.

I've never told anyone that I come here. Not even Pansy. Not even Enzo. They repeatedly ask me when they notice I've vanished, I simply tell them I've been for a walk, or went 'the long way round'. It's nice to be alone sometimes.

I reach the bench after a couple of minutes. I slump down in the left corner and stare out at the lake. The wind is gentle today and the ripples in the water are slow. I pull out a cigarette and light it hastily. This is another bonus about this area, no teachers come here either. I sit for ages, lighting another cigarette 20 minutes after I finished the last one.

The bell signifying the end of period 2 sounds, waking me up from my trance. I must have been here for almost an hour. I pick up my bag and begin walking in the direction I came from. We usually meet in common room or up on Tower Seven during breaktimes. There are multiple areas around the castle, designated for 'hanging-out' during breaks and after school finishes. We claimed Tower Seven a couple years ago, and now no one else even tries to go up there.

I'm walking through the halls, towards the Tower, when someone pulls up alongside me.

"Where are you headed?" Mattheo inquires.

"Tower Seven," I reply, "Its our 'official Slytherin territory'." Draco once called it that and he hates that we keep bringing it up. "You coming with?"

"I've got some meeting with Slughorn, installing regular catch up sessions I believe, until the end of the half term."

"You've got a lot to catch up on."

"I'm a fast learner."

"Shame, I'm gonna miss you." I reply teasingly while walking ahead.