15: Incapable

(28th of October) Finally the week has ended, its a Saturday, and we can relax. We only had a weeks break, however the first week back always feels like a new year. I'm on my way to the library, Snape wants us to finish our DADA essay on werewolves by Tuesday. DADA is one of the only classes I actually enjoy.

Recently I've been trying my best to avoid Cedric, I keep seeing him everywhere now. He calls my name after classes and tells me to wait, so I purposefully quicken my pace. I've avoided going places alone, because he I know he wont approach me if I with one of my friends. However, today I am alone. Pansy was still getting ready and I couldn't be bothered to wait. I told her to wait in the common room and I would grab the books to bring back instead of working in there.

I felt him coming before I saw him, and I turn to my left as he pulls up alongside me.

"You are a hard woman to get a conversation with aren't you?" Cedric says to me.

"What can I say im pretty popular." I jest at him, still walking until he pulls me back by my arm.

"Evelyn-"

I cut him off. "Or perhaps its just because I don't want to talk to you." We are stood in the middle of the corridor now.

"You need to stop." He says to me.

"Stop what?"

"You know perfectly well what, Mattheo is dangerous. His father is the fucking dark lord."

"Was.." I reply "He is dead now remember."

"I'm just trying to look out for you."

I scoff at him. "Oh really, like you've been looking out for me the past five years? Like you did when I got sorted in Slytherin, like you did when your entire family stopped speaking to me?"

"They are your family too."

"Not anymore."

He looks stunned, at a loss for words.

"I was eleven." I continue. "Eleven, and being disregarded by my own family, by my own fucking brother."

He looks hurt by my words, yet I know he is incapable of apologising when it comes to this topic, so he begins the defensive side. "Yeah well maybe if you weren't such a bitch all the time you wouldn't have been put in that house anyway."

Mattheo suddenly appears beside me, putting his hand on Cedric's chest, pushing him slightly backwards. "That's quite fucking enough mate."

"Oh here we go, big strong death eater boyfriend come to save you?"

I punch him. Right in the face. He staggers back, clutching his nose then looking up at me absolutely bewildered. Mattheo is stood at the side, his mouth slightly open, looking extremely amused.

I take a step towards Cedric. "You pose no significance in my life anymore, stop acting like a complete fucking asshole or you and I both know I will do that again."

I turn around and head back towards Slytherin common room, leaving Cedric stood there clutching his bleeding nose.

"Your bleeding." Mattheo says, picking my hand up to show the skin has split on two of my knuckles. Its only a minor cut and I can barely feel it anyway all the adrenalin running through me right now. I begin to laugh but he just looks concerned.

We reach the common room and everyone is sat on the sofas by the fire.

"Did the assignment already?" Pansy says sitting up.

"Nope, did something even better." I say, holding up my bleeding hand.

"She punched Cedric in the face." Mattheo laughs, and the rest of them begin gasping and clapping at me. I take a small bow then head back towards my dorm room. Mattheo is still following me. We get inside and he shuts the door.

"Let me see."

"Its not even bad, your overreacting." I reply.

"Let me see."

"If you thinking this is bad you should have taken a better look at his face." I say as he picks up my hand and has a look. "See, it's fine, I've had worse."

He look up at me as I say that. Then he turns and pulls a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket and holds them out to me.

"Life saver." I say, taking them and walking towards the balcony.