22: Bird

(09th November) It's Thursday and I haven't been back to single one of Slughorn's detentions. He hasn't chased me down or anything like that, like I thought he might. I got Pansy to skip today's lesson with me. I called in sick with Madame Pomfrey and was told to rest for the rest of the day. She said Pansy could accompany me. Quidditch tryouts went extremely well, I'm a chaser on the team again, along with Mattheo. I told Pansy about Monday's detention and my encounter with Mattheo I wasn't explicit about the details but she got the hint about what happened. Most of my meetings with Mattheo are not mentioned, however I felt the urge to tell her about this one. She's been the one to help me in similar situations and we both know I would help her too.

I haven't really seen Mattheo much in the past few days. Tuesday me and Pansy began out huge Transfiguration project, and Wednesday was Quidditch tryouts. We exchanged glances and a few words but nothin major. Basically I have been avoiding him because I'm embarrassed about Monday and I'm scared he will bring it up and we will have to talk about it. I've been in that situation enough times to know I don't want people to see it. Although I think just once would be enough to realise that.

"You have to talk to him." Pansy says.

"I know, I'm going to." I reply

"When?"

"Whenever."

"Now?"

"Pansy stop." I look at her.

"If you guys aren't together soon I'll practically die of boredom." She lays back on her bed.

It all goes silent for a minute. I can tell she is slightly concerned about me, since I told her. I think she told Enzo too because he's been treading lightly around me, always kind of looking at me trying to gather my current state. He is way over-protective so I try not to give into it.

"Evelyn." She snaps, waking me up out of my trance. She is looking at me like she's expecting me to talk or jump into action or something.

"What?" I reply, emotionlessly.

"Ask him out or I'll do it for you."

A paper bird flies in through the open window as the bell rings. It flies around the room chirping. I see Pansy's head snap round to me and then jumps up and grabs it before I have time to react.

"Bench?" She says slowly and confused, looking up me.

"I know what it means." I stand up and snatch it from her grasp.

"I don't." She replies.

"Well it's obviously not for you is it." I throw on my coat and head for the door before she can say anything else.

____

School has finished for the day. Mattheo is in potions, which is closer to the bench than I am and he will most likely get there first. Obviously I've been avoiding him, but I can't ignore a direct request be seen, I'd regret not going. see Theo, Draco and Enzo at the bottom of the stairs as I begin to descend them.

"Jesus Ev, you shouldn't be out of bed if your this sick," Theo laughs at me as we get closer in the middle of the staircase.

"I'll cough on you if you'd like." I say, slowing down.

"Don't be vile." Enzo cringes.

I draw in a breath, as if I'm about to sneeze and lean towards Enzo. He yelps and moves out the way.

"It's you that Riddle's sending paper birds too huh?" Theo asks after I keep walking.

"Couldn't possibly say." I reply, continuing my journey down the steps. I must be popular today because I just can't stop running into people. As soon as I turn the corner I walk straight into Astoria.

"Watch where you're going." I say calmly, reaching out for her arm to steady her.

"Don't fucking touch me." She replies, yanking her arm back.

I'm slightly stunned, "What the fuck?"

She doesn't reply, just huffs then begins to walk off. I grab her arm and pull her back towards me, pushing her slightly she ends up with her back on the wall.

"Don't be like that." I say jokingly. "You can't act like a bitch just because Draco wouldn't put up with your consistent whining. You chose to leave us. Not that we care much anyway, you never really did add much to the group." I pull her forward off the wall and move her back in the direction she was headed. I turn around and continue the journey to the bench. I'm not going to waste my time on her if she's going to act stuck up.

I reach outside, and head round the corner to the bench. The ground is dry, a break from the on and off rain we had last week. Treading carefully, I make my way round until I can see him sat on the bench on the other side of the bushes. He turns to face me once he hears me coming. I look back down at the ground and pretend focus on where I'm treading. IN reality all I can focus on is what I'm about to say. I'm never normally like this, he is just more important than the regular people I deal with every day.

He's stood up now, watching me until I'm out into the little clearing. He begins to walk towards me, fast. I can't tell if his face is angry or determined. I just stand there not knowing what to do as he approaches. I think I anticipate what is coming next just as he is a meter away.

He reaches me, brings both hands on either side of my face and smashes his lips into mine. I kiss him back without even thinking. Eventually he pulls away, resting his forehead against mine. His hands are now round the back of my head, his wrists resting on my neck.

"You don't know how fucking long I've been waiting to do that" He says.

"You don't know how fucking long I've hoping you would.