2. First Face-Off

Aap Mumbai main ho iska ehsaas apko tab tak nehi hota, jab tak ki ap Mumbai ka traffic na jhelo

(You don't realise you are in Mumbai untill you face Mumbai's traffic.)

"Shit!!!! I'm late", exclaimed Mahir eyeing the wall clock which showed 8:30 a.m. "Shit! Shit!! Shit!!!"

He ran towards the bathroom, quickly took a shower, threw his shirt and trousers over him and ran outside his room.

He hurriedly poured the dry cornflakes inside his mouth and then drank his milk, which choked him and he started coughing.

"Maahiiiii", Ajji came running to him and patter his back."Aaram se beta, why are you in such a hurry. It's okay to be late for a few minutes and have breakfast more peacefully than going all in and out and then choking yourself."

"Ajji, I've no time left to eat breakfast peacefully. I'm already late, it's 8:45 already, I should have reached there by now, but I overslept and all this blunder....aahhhhh...Ajji, if I don't get this job how will I manage the expenses??"

"Beta tu expenses ki chinta kyou karta hai?? Meri pension ham dono ke liye kaafi nehi hai kya? Ham dono khush to hai itne main hi!" Ajji said.
(Child, why do you stress yourself for such matters? Is my pension not enough for both of us. We are satisfied with it, aren't we.)

"No Ajji, I know that you always curb your wishes just so I could complete mine. What do you think, I don't see? I've seen how you avoid buying something that you like, you wish to have just so I could go on travel, adventures and friend trips."

Mahir continues," Ajji I know and it's okay. Itne saal padhkar ye law ki degree frame karwane ko thodi rakhi hai, now it's time to put it at work, right?!"

Mahir said winking while Ajji signed. "Now come and gimme me a hug" he said while hugging Ajji "and then I'll get goooiiiinn.....ohh noo, it's 8:55, bye Ajji, see ya, love you, mwaahh!!!"

"All the best Mahiii, bye", Ajji said laughing at him as he ran outside.

Mahir sprinted towards the main road and call for his cab. He sat on the cab, told the driver his destination and headed off towards the main road.

At the main chauraha, there was a lot of traffic. The whole road was bustling with vehicle horns, traffic police whistles, people coming out of their cars and shouting in loud voices for the ones in front to move forward. Mahir was impatiently waiting in the backseat of the cab.

It was already quarter-past 9. He has been shaking his leg and chewing his nails in nervousness. "What happened sir, how much time will it take??"

He asked the drive who said, "Sir there is a lot of traffic ahead, I don't think we will be able to make it in the next half an hour."