9. Flashbacks

"Mahir?"

"Mahir?". I heard a familiar voice called from behind.

My body stilled. I recognise that voice. Why is he here?

I closed my eyes and inhaled a deep breath. After releasing it, I straightened my posture and turned.

"Didn't expect you to be here dad", I said plastering a cold expression, looking at the man in front of me.

I can't believe it has been so long. So long since we last met. So long since I saw his face. He's different now. Grey hairs, wrinkles, age spots, dull eyes, straight but loose body, he looks old. And his expression tells me he's equally shocked to see me here. Well, it's normal.

When you leave your 10 year old son with his grandmother after getting divorced and then never look back, leaving him to live a life without a parent and then suddenly, after 15 years meet him in the most unexpected way, you gotta react like that. But since Mr. Rishabh Jaisingh is too good at hiding his emotions, he immediately replaces that shocked expression with a slow professional smile. That smile doesn't reach his eyes though.

He takes his right hand out of his pocket and while holding a champagne glass in his left and comes for a hug. He circles his left hand around me, but I stay still, keeping my hands in my pocket which results in him giving me a side hug. But it lasted only a second before he realised that I'm not responding and backs away, that smile still stuck on his face.

"How have you been beta (child)?", he asked.

I was just staring at him in disbelief. Seriously? He's asking me how I am? Now?? After 15 years he's asking this? I can't believe him.

"It's pretty late for that question, don't you think?", I asked, my tone blank.

His expression changed to hurt for a slight nano-second but then he was back to his professional smile.

Ignoring my taunting, he said," It's so good to see you."

"Wish I could say the same."

He chuckled and lowered his gaze for a second and said," Hmm, you've grown up now", he looks up," how's Maa?" (Mother)

That's it. I can't take it anymore. All the rage, hatred and betrayal that was subsidised through these years came running back. I fisted my hand. The vein in my arms and neck were popping out, about to explode. My breathing became heavy due to all the adrenaline rush and it takes all of my strength to not shout and lash out at him in the public and make a scene.

Suddenly a pained memory crossed my mind, taking me back in time.

Flashback

"No..oo!!!! Pl-pl-please d-o-n't l-le-leave me..!!! I-I wa-n-nt bo-o-th of you-u-u...I-I n-n-need bot-h-h you-u-h!!! Ma-a-Maa!!! Pl-please..... D-o-on't gooo Ma-aaa.......Maa-aaaa..." A ten year old Mahir ran towards a car.