Chapter 15: Say your Gratitudes

Showly, Marcus becomes cognizant. His artificial chest rises and falls. Feeling his synthetic heart thump in his metal and polymer ribcage. Feeling it subtly pumping in his neck. Slowly his green eyes open wide, looking into the light violet-blue sky. His breath caught in his chest, mesmerized by the beauty. Sitting up slightly, he notices a weight on his abdomen. Looking down, Nabe was snuggled into his stomach, her legs tangled in his own, under the blanketed bed roll they shared.

The look of peace that was settled on her face as it squished into his body made Marcus smile. 'Such an Adorable little raven...' He thinks to himself, slowly removing himself from the doppelganger's comfortable embrace, leaving her to continue her beauty sleep. Not that sleep could help her already exceptional beauty.

Turning his gaze to the east behind him, the sunrise gave him pause... The horizon ablaze with colors, the sky transitioning from a deep purple to a gentle orange as the sun slowly rises. A small lake in the distance reflects the sky like a mirror, making it seem as if the world is mirrored in a pool of liquid gold. It brought peace to Marcus' core.

'I've... I've never seen a real sunrise, have I...' Marcus thinks to himself, his eyes locked on the scenery.

Slowly stepping out into the grass, stepping over his armor and jacket on the ground, grabbing his holster, and strapping it to his belt

Slowly stepping out into the grass, stepping over his armor and jacket on the ground, grabbing his holster, and strapping it to his belt. Dressed in only his pants, boots, and a white button-up, the top three buttons were undone, exposing some of his chest, and his Marker necklace hung loosely. He wanders over to a tree and takes a deep breath, feeling the cool humidity in the air fill his artificial lungs. 'Fuck... do I wish these were real...' Reaching to the tree, he feels the rough bark, tracing his fingers in its grooves and cracks. Setting his fingernail under a gap in the bark, he breaks a piece off.

Holding it in his digits, admiring its simple beauty, memorizing its rough texture, the patterns. 'To think you're a living thing...' Marcus wonders, looking up into the web of branches, the golden light of the sunrise shining through the gaps. Marcus had never seen a real tree before. He supposed they went extinct... Destroyed and poisoned by humanity's own stupidity, greed, and hatred. While they ended up dwelling in domes of smog-choked overpopulated slums. Marcus supposed being in that hospital where the air, as stale as it was, was remotely breathable was a blessing worth counting.

But that was past now.

Looking back to the rooted life form, admiring it. A small promise formed in his mind of circuits and motherboards to the beautiful and seemingly lonely creature on the hill that the future would never wonder what the bark of a tree felt like... Looking away from the tree to the sun as it greeted him warmly.

"... Or ever forget what the sun felt like..." Marcus mutters.

Kneeling by the tree facing the sun, Marcus closes his eyes and enjoys the subtle golden light warming his skin. Breathing in deeply, feeling oddly at peace. Rolling the bark in his fingers.