Chapter 16: Wise King of the Forest PT1

Walking down the dirt road, the Swords of Darkness walk on either side of Nphirea leading the wagon, Lukrut leading from the front, on the lookout. But in the back, Marcus, walking next to Nabe, focused more on the beautiful landscape that peaked over the lush forests. Like an art piece, Marcus admired it as he strode. The central focus of the composition is the magnificent mountain, which jettisoned majestically into the sky—christened in a pristine blanket of snow, contrasting beautifully with the surrounding green forests. Towering trees dot the landscape, adding depth and texture to the natural piece of art.

Marcus had found himself looking around a lot. Not that he could blame himself; he hadn't had the opportunity to look at anything pretty in his roughly two-and-a-half decades of life. Dome-covered skyscapes, acid rain, and smoggy, dirty air that destroyed any sense of visibility, at least from his hospital room. Speaking of... The drabby and monotone square room of the hospital contrasted extremely with what he'd seen of this new world.

And he loved it.

But the more logical side of his mind, the neutral and calculated part, his anti-social conquerer. The part of him in the driver's seat through most of his early Yggdrasil days. It told him to '𝙶𝚎𝚝 𝚘𝚗 𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗,' He had a reason for coming out here, and it was not for fraternization or being distracted.

'𝙿𝚛𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝙾𝚋𝚓𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎: 𝚐𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚄𝚕𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚍𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚛𝚜; 𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚞𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙽𝚊𝚋𝚎.' His brain reminds him of an annoying side-of-screen pop-up in an RPG like the old-as-dirt Fable games. However, like most RPG players, the main quest gets sidelined for more interesting stuff.

'It doesn't hurt to make up for lost time and have fun with it, too; the more interactive with the world I am, the more genuine and likable I am. Besides, Ninya seems interested in the "faith." She just needs physical, tangible proof. Which Carne Village should provide.' Marcus thought. His inner voice conceded the point and remained silent; however, it felt odd to be talking with himself, but he figured it was his way of coping.

Deciding it was time to get a little serious, Marcus reeled in his wonder and turned to his companion. "Parlez-vous français Nabe?"

His speaking French took her by surprise, her face shrouding in a blush as most of the time Marcus spoke French, it was flirting, but she quickly calmed down and turned to him and nodded. "Oui,"

"Bien. Le français sera la langue que nous utilisons pour nous parler. Un bon moyen, d'avoir des conversations, privées sans avoir besoin de sorts," He says, nodding to her, a comfortable tone in his voice that contrasted with the seriousness of his words. Nabe nods again at the orders.

"Oui,"

"Quel est l'intérêt de notre mission Nabe?"

"Diffusez nos noms en tant qu'aventuriers pour gagner en influence tout en prosélytisant notre foi religieuse en Ultron." She says, her accent more French than Marcus's own Quebec accent. He was impressed.

"Magnifique." Marcus praises, making Nabe look proud, "Lorsque nous arriverons au village, il est probable que les serviteurs guerriers ne reconnaîtront pas notre statut dans leurs systèmes IFF. Ils nous garderont probablement sous la menace d'une arme jusqu'à ce qu'ils reconnaissent Nphirea. Cependant, rappelez-vous, ce sont des anges dans notre religion. Émule-moi."

"Oui,"

"Your language is so interesting to listen to," Ninya says, looking behind them at the couple. Marcus grins at them