2. i got the chills when i said that

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.
narrative
kate's pov

There is no way that Freya Rogers is in this building right now. It might not even be her. I could literally just be overthinking, but I swear that I saw her. She made sure her back was turned when I walked by which I found a little weird, but didn't question. I barely looked at her when I passed Florence and Keegan, only thinking about it as I walked away and caught a glimpse of her when she turned back around.

That had to be her.

I sit down in my little cubby in the locker room, sipping from the water bottle in my hand. All the girls come in cheering, but I cannot stop thinking about Freya now.

I haven't seen her since we were 15 and 16. She moved to Los Angeles after her freshman year of high school and now she might be in Carver. Does she go to school here? If she does then I am a complete idiot.

Caitlin comes over to me when she gets into the locker room, "What's up with you?" she asks and I look up at her.

"Did you meet the girl that Florence and Keegan were with?" I ask immediately. She nods, uncapping her Gatorade, "What was her name? I didn't talk to her."

Caitlin furrows her brows, confused as to why I'm asking, "Freya Rogers, why?" My breath catches in my throat, my stomach dropping, "Kate?" she says, pressing her hand to my shoulder.

Bluder and J walk in before I can reply, telling us how good we played as the girls around me cheer because we're going to the second round. All I can muster up is a smile as Bluder starts one of her motivational speeches.

Soon enough, we get done talking and the coaches leave us to change. Monika turns back to me, "What is wrong?" she asks.

I look up at Caitlin, "I know her. Knew," I correct, "I knew Freya."

"From what?" Caitlin asks.

"The girl who was with Keegan and Florence?" Monika questions and I nod.

I shake my head, "She was my best friend and then she moved and we stopped talking." I stopped replying to any of her texts that she sent for five months.

"Jesus Christ, Kate," Caitlin says as I rub my eyes, grabbing my phone. I open Instagram, searching her name. She's verified, having over 500K followers, "Holy shit," Caitlin mumbles, looking over my shoulder, "Syd follows her."

Sydney hears Caitlin say her nickname and looks in my direction, her brows furrowed, and I motion for her to come over to me. I turn my phone around to her, "How much do you know about her?"

"I listen to her music. I just met her out there on the court though," Sydney says, shrugging her shoulders, "Music major here at Iowa I do believe as well."

I nod, pressing my lips together, finally seeing the "uiowa '23" in her bio. I look at Caitlin, "She's gone to this college the entire time and I didn't even know."

"How did you not know?" Caitlin asks, tilting her head, "You never got curious about what she was up to?"

I press my lips together, "I mean, yeah, I missed her, but I figured she was just doing better things."

Caitlin shakes her head, "You just need to talk to her. I'm sure she'd be glad to hear from you."

Monika's now on her own phone, looking at Freya's Instagram, "She just posted," Mon says and literally, Caitlin and Sydney also get out their phones to look at it.

"I'm sure she does not want to hear from me," I say, shaking my head.

I cannot believe Freya is here.

authors note
i love this sm 🤭