50. anticipating every bad dream

CHAPTER FIFTY

CHAPTER FIFTY.
narrative

march 17, 2023: iowa city, iowa
march madness, first round
iowa v. se louisiana: 95-43 iowa

I got out of the hospital on the day of the first March Madness game. It pissed me off, not gonna lie. I had been ready all month to travel with the team and support Kate as much as I could. Then I had to have surgery and stay at the hospital for three days.

Kate had been able to bring me home. Bluder allowed her to be late to shoot around for it because she knew how important I was to Kate.

After shoot around, Kate ran home for only a little bit to check on me before having to head back to Carver. Bowie and I had been laying in our bed and on the couch all day, so there wasn't much to check on. I was practically rotting away.

Leah would be going to the game and I would be at mine and Kate's apartment, watching it alone. Well, I thought so anyway.

My front door opens suddenly as I'm sitting on the couch with Bowie. "Freya?" I hear Florence's voice call out.

"Living room," I reply. She steps into the next room, holding a couple of bags in her hands.

"Dinner for you, M'lady," she says with a grin, placing the bag on the coffee table in front of me. I give her a smile as I sit up. I have another game playing on ESPN as I wait for the Iowa game.

I take a cup of soup out of the bag and she sits next to me. She was on dinner duty tonight (appointed by Leah because I apparently can't make my own food). Leah would get me food whenever Kate wasn't available and since Leah was at the game, it was Flo's duty tonight.

As I ate, the game began. Florence was petting Bowie as we started watching the game. When I finished eating, I stood from my spot, much to Florence's protests, and I stored the remaining soup in the fridge.

The pain in my abdomen was still there because of the incision from surgery, so I took one of the painkillers they'd prescribed me. I laid on the couch now, curled into a ball as I watched the TV and the girls play.

By the time halftime had ended, I was asleep.

florencethemachinedupe

liked by keegmurray and others florencethemachinedupe, tired girltagged, captainamericafr

florencethemachinedupe, tired girl
tagged, captainamericafr

view comments. . .

jadag, oh my god shes so cute

notryanreynolds, i told kate she'd be sleeping by the time the game was over
— katmart, yeah yeah i'll give you ten dollars for it tmr
— notryanreynolds, i'll make sure you don't forget!

monc25, i love her so bad

I awoke to feeling someone's arm slip under my knees, the other holding me around the back. I groaned a bit, squeezing my eyes shut. "I'm sorry, darling," Kate's voice whispered softly. The painkillers always made me sleepy and they didn't wear off until at least 12 hours I took one. "Come on, Bow," she says.

After a few moments, she places me on our bed, covering me up with the comforter. "I'll be right back," she whispers, kissing my head. I hear dresser drawers opening and closing as Bowie curls up behind my legs. The shower turns on and I let myself fall back asleep while Kate showers.

Kate's shower feels like it lasts two minutes because as soon as I fall asleep, I feel our bed dip down under her weight. She slips under the blanket and I immediately scoot closer to her.

She wraps an arm around my shoulder as I lay one of my arms over her middle, resting my head against her chest.

"Did you win?" I ask sleepily, voice low.

I feel her nod as I listen to her heart beat. "95-43," she confirms.

"I'm sure you guys played well," I tell her, groggy as hell. "I fell asleep."

Her chest shakes with a soft chuckle. "I know, honey," she says softly. "Just go back to bed," Kate whispers, rubbing my back gently.

I lift my head, pressing a kiss to her lips in the dark. "I love you," I say, putting my head back down.

"I love you too, darling."

authors note
hi i love them so bad