22. all the shine of half a decade fading

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.
imessage and narrative
not proofread

princess leah

princess leah
you sure you're okay?

princess freya
yes, i promise

princess leah
do you wanna talk about
what happened?

princess freya
you remember claire right?

princess leah
yeah and i know she was there
with connor
princess leah
i explained to caitlin, monika,
and kate who she was after
they heard me call her a bitch
when i saw her 😐

princess freya
she needed to be called that

princess leah
to her face, preferably.

princess freya
anyway i saw her and like everything
about her cheating and how she hurt
me like came back and so i went outside
princess freya
she followed me and we talked
princess freya
she basically said that no one is ever gonna
actually love me so i went into the
bathroom and just had a
little, teeny tiny panic attack
princess freya
if you could even call it that

princess leah
now i really wish i said it
to her face
princess leah
what she said isn't true

princess freya
i know
princess freya
kate's taking me home and
i will probably fall right asleep

princess leah
okay okay
princess leah
i love you frey <3

princess freya
i love you too leah <33

Once we get to the apartment, I invite Kate inside. The pounding heart and the shakes had subsided during dinner, but I was absolutely exhausted. I don't know why I invited Kate inside, but it felt right for some reason.

"Hi, Flo," I say when I see Florence on the couch, Bowie's head on her thigh.

She gives us a smile, "Hey, guys, how was dinner?" she asks.

"It was good," I say, looking back at Kate who was nodding. I don't have the energy to explain it all to Florence, "We're gonna hang out, is that okay?"

Florence nods, "Of course, Frey," she replies.

Kate and I walk into my room, "If you're wanting to go, you can. I'm sorry, I should've asked if you wanted to stay," I tell Kate once my door is closed.

She grabs my hand gently, pulling me toward her. Her hands rest on my waist as she looks at me, "I would love to stay," Kate whispers. It makes me smile.

I chew on my bottom lip nervously, "Will you stay here tonight?" I ask, immediately regretting my words. When I see the smile on her face, the regret goes away almost immediately.

"Yeah, I will," she replies, digging her fingers into my waist gently. A soft chuckle escapes my lips as she does.

I walk over to my dresser, her hands falling from my waist. I grab a pair of gray sweatpants I stole from Caspian last time I visited the house and throw them at her. I grab myself some clothes, "You can go ahead and change in here," I say with a small smile.

I step out of my room, closing the door behind me. I change in the bathroom, taking off the makeup I had on. I'm now wearing a Iowa basketball crewneck (it's Kate's) and a pair of white sweatpants. My bedroom door is open when I step out of the bathroom. Kate had opened it so I knew she was done getting dressed.

"You look good in my clothes, Reya," she teases after seeing the sweatshirt, sitting on my bed. I feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I press my back to my now closed bedroom door. 

I shake my head, "Shut up, Martin," I joke back, walking over and sitting next to her. Our thighs and shoulders are touching as we sit. She hits her knee against mine, making me laugh softly and look over at her. Reaching up, I push some hair behind her ear, "Thank you for tonight," I say, my voice soft. While unexpected things happened, I was glad I still got to spend it with her and the girls.

She nods, her cheeks turning red. Slowly, both of us lean in, her lips pressing against mine so gently. I cup her cheek as she presses her hand to my waist, deepening the kiss. I've been wanting to do this again since the first time we kissed.

After a few moments, we both pull away to catch our breaths. She looks at me with a grin that makes my stomach turn to knots. Kate presses another kiss to my lips, a quick one.

"You should get some sleep, Reya," she says and I nod, grabbing the remote to my TV. The two of us slip under the blankets, laying very close to each other. I'm sure we'll be tangled in each other tomorrow morning.

I turn on a movie (Tangled because it's the best Disney movie) and put the remote. The first song barely makes ends and I've already left myself fall asleep.

authors note
another freyakate kiss 🤭🤭🤭