19. it's kind of funny when it goes from all to nothing

CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN.
narrative and instagram
not proofread!

august 17, 2022: iowa city, iowa

"'Cause you know everything that could kill me," I sing, seeing how these lyrics flow as I strum the melody on my guitar, "And you know, you know every inch of my body," I finish before it goes back into the pre-chorus. I grab my pen, staring at the journal in front of me when I hear the front door open. I figure it's just Keegan and Florence coming home since Keegan flew in a few days ago to be here for Florence's birthday.

I hum the rest of the song to myself. It's mostly finished, I'll probably go over it a few more times to just finalize it. I'm not even sure if it will make the album, but it's here.

A knock on my door makes me jump, not expecting it, "Jesus- come in!" I tell whoever is outside of my bedroom. The door opens to reveal three people: Kate, Caitlin, and Leah. I furrow my brows, wondering how they got into the apartment, but I remember that Leah has an extra key, "I didn't know you guys were coming over," I say as Kate stands behind me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"To be fair, Leah and I both texted you, you just didn't answer," Kate tells me, kissing my head.

I put my guitar down, "Been a little busy," I say. Kate's eyes scan the lyrics on the paper on my desk. I quickly close the journal and place it back down, smiling up at the Martin girl.

Kate and I have been acting like nothing had happened since my birthday when we kissed. Sure, we were still touchy and we "flirted" a little bit, but we hadn't shared another kiss or talked much about it at all.

"Do you wanna go get food with us?" Caitlin asks. Kate's arms fall from around me as I stand up, grabbing my phone to check the time. It's almost five and I haven't eaten since this morning.

I nod, "Yeah, just let me change and I'll go," I tell them. Leah and Caitlin go ahead and walk out, surely hanging out with Bowie.

"Can I watch?" Kate asks, raising her eyebrows at me.

I feel the heat that rises to my cheeks, but I shake my head, "Nice try, sunshine. Go," I tell her. She fake pouts for a few moments before walking toward the door, blowing me a kiss as she closes it, leaving me alone in my room.

I slip on a pair of jeans and a white baby tee, putting on a pair of royal blue converse, bringing a jacket just in case. Grabbing my phone, I walk out of my room, closing my door behind me. They're all sitting on the couch, giving Bowie the most attention. He's in Leah's lap, Caitlin and Kate are both trying to get him to go to one of them.

A small laugh escapes my lips as I watch them playing with my dog. The laugh makes Kate look in my direction, biting her bottom lip as she looks at me, "You look beautiful," she says, getting up and walking toward me.

I roll my eyes a little bit, but I can't help the smile that appears on my lips, "This is the simplest outfit, Kate," I tell her.

She shrugs, sliding her arm around my waist, pulling me closer to her, "Yeah and you look fucking gorgeous," she says.