14. in the things we had planned

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.
narrative and instagram

july 30, 2022: chicago, illinois

kate's pov

Florence, Keegan, Leah, Caitlin, and I were all standing near the front of the stage where Freya was going to be performing (mostly so we'll be able to go backstage to get her easier). Keegan was able to come from Sacramento to be here which I know Freya appreciated. She had told me before hand how nervous she was, but it made her feel better that the five of us were in the crowd. Caitlin was only here because I brought her.

Freya's name is on the back screen and a few seconds after her band starts playing instrumentals, she runs out on stage with a huge smile on her face. She stares at the crowd, her hand over her mouth like she can't believe she's playing right now.

She starts with her song Feels Like and everyone around us is singing every lyric, including Keegan and Caitlin. Florence, Leah, and I have our phones out, recording and taking pictures of everything. Caitlin has taken a few pictures so far.

"Doesn't she look so good?" Leah asks us over the music with a grin. She looks so proud of Freya.

Florence and I both nod, "She looks really pretty," I say, looking back at Caitlin who can't stop herself from staring at Leah. Her eyes keep flickering from Freya on stage to the brunette. I shake my head a little, shoving my elbow into her ribs (not too hard) as I give her a stop-staring look. She just holds her hands up in fake surrender, her eyes wide a little.

Freya waves at us when she spots us, walking around the stage and singing. Everyone cheers at the end of it, the smile growing on her face. The next song she plays is Better. She stands for most of the song, sitting at her red keyboard toward the end to finish it out and go into the song after it which is minor.

During the song, Florence wraps her arm around my shoulders. Keegan is beside her. I've seen him take a few pictures and videos during the show already. I love seeing how many supportive people Freya's had around her.

After minor, Freya gets up from her keyboard as the instrumentals for 21 begin to play. She's reaching for a rose and a gift from a security guard when she starts singing.

"Second verse, we scream "sorry" after she sings it," Florence tells me and I nod, turning around to tell Caitlin, but Leah's already talking to her about it.

"Leah said she saw you out past twelve o'clock," Freya sings and I look at Leah and Flo, the biggest smiles on their faces, "Just because you're hurting, doesn't mean I'm not. If it doesn't go away by the time I turn thirty, I made a mistake and I'll tell you I'm sorry," she sings before pointing her microphone toward the crowd of people and we all scream the word sorry.

It's not until after 21 when she talks to the crowd. Freya prances around the stage as she says, "Hi!" She waves to the crowd and runs her fingers through her hair.