Chapter One- Nothing Is The Same

CHAPTER ONE

Life can change in an instant. If there was one thing that I’d learned in my brief 17 years…. It was that.
It could change in one blink of an eye. One example of this would include the new silver gun towards my head and my sudden panic.

I mean what else was I meant to do? Be completely cool with it?

It all started with a red spot on the floor. And no, it wasn’t blood. This isn’t a horror story.

Anyway I stared at the red petal on the floor as if it was some kind of plague towards me. I hate Valentines Day.

I hate ex boyfriends who think that it’s OK to leave.

I hate… I hate my life right now.

“Samantha Stevens.” I looked up from where I was sitting. “Are you going to do some work or are you going to just glare at the floor?”

I tightened my jaw. “I choose option two.”

Mr Cross’s face heated and he opened his mouth though before he could say – yell- there was a loud cough from the doorway, his mouth closed in a grimace.

Blake smirked, “Can I choose option two?”

Mr Cross flushed a darker red in anger. They all hated him. “No. You may sit down and spend the remainder of time in detention.” He glared. “Of what’s left of it. Where were you Tyler?”

That smirk widened. “Doing… stuff…”

Yeah right. Doing someone. Tyler Blake. The guy was hot. He had that  type of angelic face that most girls drooled over. His eyes were a bright blue and his hair… it was a mess of a sandy blonde. He was absolutely beautiful. Though what wrecked Tyler Blake was the fact that he knew that he was hot, and he knew that he could have anyone. Tyler Blake was a massive player.

Blake strutted down the gap of desks, his eyes landing on mine…. He winked.  I tried not to gag. He walked as if he owned the place or something.

I rolled my eyes just as he sat beside me. “There are thousands of other seats Blake.” I snapped. “Why do you need to sit near me?”

“Because I need you.” He said simply. “You’re the prettiest girl in the room.”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes again. I was the only girl in the room.

I gave a disgusted sound at the back of my throat and crossed my arms across the chest. From the corner of my eye, I watched as he checked me out. Quickly, I slapped my hands on the desk, which caused a loud slap. “Can you not do that!”

“Samantha!” Mr Cross bellowed. “Detention again tomorrow!”

“But sir!” I protested. “This pervert was staring at my chest!”

Blake laughed a dark chuckle. “Sir in my defence Stevens is really hot.”

“QUIET!” Mr Cross yelled, “Samantha sit up front.”

I gave an irritated sound and followed suit. Rich boy just stole my seat. I purposely stomped on the red petal as I grabbed my stuff and fell into my new seat.

The rest of detention was probably the worst of my two hours. I was directly in front of Blake. I could feel him staring at me and heard the annoying sound of paper crinkling. It was like he was purposely trying to annoy me.

A ball of paper was thrown in front of me. I ignored it.

Another ball of paper was thrown towards my head. “Really!”  I screamed.

“Samantha! Do you want another detention after tomorrow!”

I shook my head and felt my cheeks heat. Mr Cross glared and started reading his book again. “Pssst.” Blake whispered behind me.

I’m going to kill him. Angrily, I opened the note. Want to meet up after?

THERES NO WAY IN HELL, I WOULD EVER MEET UP WITH YOU OR WHATEVER YOU’RE THINKING BLAKE.
 I threw my reply back towards him and after a few seconds I heard him chuckle.

Another piece of paper landed in front of me again. You never cared about that before.

My jaw tightened as bad memories flooded through my head. There are some things in life that you really don’t want to remember.

Mr Cross started packing up his things. “I’ll see you again tomorrow Samantha and Tyler.”

I stormed out of the room, ignoring the sound of footsteps behind me. “Hey Stevens!”  And for some reason, I started to run. “Alright! See you later!” He laughed.

Why am I running? I was meant to try and be cool by walking away casually. The sun was starting to set as I walked along the pathway. By the time I arrived along a streets lamp posts and stores, it was dark. Too dark.

I was immediately aware of the fact that I was walking alone.

Why did detention have to go for so long? Sure, it would be fine if I had my own car or a parent who actually cared.

Don’t think about that.

The reason why I had been in detention was because of Alley. She was my best friend and I loved her… but at this moment I was feeling so much anger towards her and her perfect life that I wanted to scream and throw something.

I was in the last period of class when Alley had started talking about her perfect boyfriend. “-And then he took me for a walk along the beach! It was magical.”

Alley was lucky. Her boyfriend was Caleb Conner’s. All the girls in school were jealous and I was one of them. Of course I wasn’t jealous that she had Caleb, I was jealous of her having a boyfriend.

Everything about this day reminds me of my ex. Mason. He left me at the start of this year to move away for dad and his company. I hated him for it. Ever since Mase left, everything has been turning into crap while everything seemed to be turning to into butterflies and rainbows for Alley.

“Sam.” Alley snapped. “Are you listening to me?”

I stared at her long brown hair and bright brown eyes. She was beautiful. I understood why Caleb was with her. She was caring, loving and cute. She was everything I wasn’t. Maybe that was the reason why I didn’t have Mason anymore. Maybe moving away was a type of relief towards him.

To get away from me. 

Alley’s big eyes widened. “Oh my god. You’re thinking about Mase aren’t you? I’m so sorry Sam!”

I tightened my jaw and looked down at the roses on her side of the desk, I watched as one of the red petals fell to the floor. “It’s fine.” I finally answered. “Everythings fine.” Liar. Nothing in my life is fine.