Chapter Eleven- Calling 911 For Some Serious Help

CHAPTER ELEVEN- 

It was the look in Mel’s eye that formed a memory. One that I didn’t want to remember.

I stayed where I was completely frozen as people shifted in the crowd. I squeezed the red cup in my hand till it broke and it’s continents started to pour out. I gave a low sigh and walked over to the bins before I grabbed a napkin.

I hate being young. I hate this transformation into high school. Why was this small stupid party meant to help us find our way?

I knew exactly what it was. A way to help us find our own cliques and stay to them. Looking around the room I already noticed the girls with long glossy hair forming a group and the girls with glasses and braces forming their own. Of course it was obvious that the guys were also finding their own, from the sporty type to the stick figures.

 I hate high school. Already I have no idea where I fit in. 

I pored myself another drink of punch and watched as teachers scanned the gym, grinning like fools. You should all know that this isn’t helping our lives but making it worse. I tucked my short red hair behind my ear and sipped my drink.

Please. Just get me out of here.

A guy suddenly bumped into me. He was cute looking. Bright blue eyes and the potential to be a real hot. He stared at me for a couple seconds; the guy beside him was also cute looking. I didn’t have to guess to know what group they were in.

“Sorry.” Blue Eyes muttered. “I didn’t see you there.”

“No one ever does.” Why did I just say that?

Blue Eyes frowned the same time that his friend cleared his throat uncomfortably. “You hate this?”

I opened my mouth to answer but Blue Eyes talked before me. “Who doesn’t? You don’t know where you’re meant to go?”

I stared over his head as my eyes scanned the room. “I feel like if I choose someone to talk to then it’s a permanent thing. That I’ve chosen for the next four years who I’m meant to be.” I looked him in the eye.  “But I don’t know who I am.”

He smiled a nice row of straight teeth. I knew then that that smile would break a lot of hearts. “I know what you mean.”

His friend beside him gave a cocky smile. “You could always talk to that dork.” He pointed across the room at a girl with greasy brown hair, braces and glasses. “She looks like she needs a friend. You guys have that in common.”

“Caleb.” Blue eyes snapped. “Come on man. Don’t be mean.”

Caleb gave a shrug and walked away with the same smile. I watched as a blonde grabbed him and shamelessly started to flirt with him.

“Well.” I looked uncomfortably at Blue Eyes. “Looks like your friend just classified me in a group. Apparently I’m a dork with no friends.” I swallowed hard at my tightened throat. “Thanks for-” I paused. “I don’t know.”

Blue Eyes looked like he was about to apologise. “Talking to you and understanding?” He shrugged. “I’ve got a feeling that I’m about to hate these next couple of years as much as you. Everyone judges people on their looks and automatically classifies them in groups. I hate it already.”

“That’s high school.” I shrugged.

He smiled. “If you want a friend or someone to talk to-”