29

"They may fight with us, but they don't fight for us

"They may fight with us, but they don't fight for us." 

—Christopher Paolini

Kane had come to find her when they returned to Camp Jaha, with two less than they left with (Bellamy and Lincoln had set out for Mount Weather almost immediately). He was careful with his words, because he knew she was likely on edge due to the repeating message from Jasper and Bellamy's absence. But she was quick to nod her head and accept his favour, and it made him smile. She wasn't the type of person who let their emotions distract them from what needed to be done, and that was what the sky people needed most for the coming days.

Indra and other Trikru warriors were arriving to the camp, and Kane needed Astoria's help to ensure the meeting didn't end poorly. It surprised her that he trusted her with something so serious, especially after her outburst the day before, but she didn't question him. They needed to keep the alliance strong, especially now that Bellamy had put himself into enemy territory, and Astoria had power over Skaikru because most of them were afraid of her. She wasn't sure Kane understood how little pull she had with her own people, however.

She stood next to him as the warriors moved through the gate and towards the Ark. All of them were armed with various types of weapons, but Bellamy's pistol remained in her waistband at Kane's suggestion ("We need to appear unthreatened, and having your gun out will do the opposite.") She kept her chin up as Indra looked her over, and it was clear the woman didn't like her much. Astoria didn't let it phase her, because she knew if she did she would be scolded by Kane.

"Monin," he greeted with a nod, and Astoria remained silent. She respected the effort he was putting in to learn her language, and when he asked her to teach him a few phrases in preparation for the grounders arrival she had been happy to help. "I thought we'd start with a reception," he continued in English, sparing a glance to the girl at his side to gage if he got the pronunciation of welcome correct. She nodded her head and he looked back to Indra. "Then we move on to training. We have a lot to learn from each other."

Indra was silent, almost as though she didn't trust a word Kane spoke. It made Astoria more tense, but she made sure not to show it.

"Weapons there, please," Kane gestured to the container beside him, and when Indra made no moves to unarm herself he explained. "Only our guards are armed here."

And me, of course. Astoria didn't think they'd be able to take her pistol away if they tried. No one had thus far. Finally, Indra unsheathed the sword at her hip and tossed it into the bin, taking out a smaller blade next and doing the same. The other's followed suit, and when Kane gestured for Indra to move inside first, she did.

Astoria walked just behind the two leaders as they moved through the Ark, and she kept her ears hot to any Trigedasleng her people may have been speaking. "Thank you for agreeing to this, Indra," Kane began, and Astoria focused back to them.