48

"Beware the fury of a patient man

"Beware the fury of a patient man." 

―John Dryden

This time around, the rover felt less cramped; there were three on one side and four on the other in the back, with Bellamy in the driver's seat. Beside him, was Astoria with Thomas on her lap, and both were fast asleep. They had been since only twenty minutes after they started to drive, and the morning sun had come up and lit the field they were driving through an hour later.

Every so often Bellamy spared her a glance, and smiled slightly at the sight. Thomas had his head limp on shoulder, and Astoria had her's rested against his with her arms joined on his lap. He felt as though he had missed a lot of her life during the time he was with Pike, because she seemed to have a new found soft spot for the child in her arms. It made him love her more.

"I didn't know Toria could sleep so well," Octavia joked from her spot behind the drivers seat, eyes on the sleeping duo in front of her. When they were at the dropship, everyone was sure the grounder didn't rest, because they never actually saw it happen. It almost felt unnatural to see her doing so.

"You'd be surprised," Raven spoke without taking her eyes off the book in her lap. "Since she's been sick it's hard to get her not to."

Bellamy looked through the mirror to her, but it was Monty who questioned her further. "It makes her sleep more?" he asked, just as curious as everyone else about her condition. After they got into the rover and started to drive away from Niylah's house, Astoria had grown tired of the looks her friends were giving her and announced that if any of them treated her differently because she was sick, she'd ignore them for however much time she had left.

Monty and Octavia weren't there when Raven exposed her secret, and quickly looked to the others in confusion.

"What else does it do?" Jasper asked, and Raven sighed.

"She gets nose bleeds sometimes," she started, and Bellamy looked to the woman beside him for a moment. He remembered when her nose started to bleed and he forced her to see Abby - they had lied to him when he asked if she was fine? "And she vomits pretty often. But... I think the worst is the pain."

He didn't want to hear about it; he didn't want to believe it was real, and that she had truly been suffering for months without him knowing. His hands tightened on the steering wheel and he squared his shoulders slightly, remaining quiet.

"She pretends it isn't too bad, but Abby's had me giving her some of my blood every week for a while now. It helps the symptoms, makes it easier. Sometimes, when it's been a few days, I can see her having trouble getting out of bed," the words were falling out of her mouth, and she wasn't sure if Astoria would have appreciated her telling them, but the others needed to know. Raven knew her friend wouldn't want to tell them herself.