05

"Killing is not so easy as the innocent believe

"Killing is not so easy as the innocent believe."

―Daniel Radcliffe

They had been deep into the woods when it sounded; they couldn't have made it back to camp before the fog appeared and strangled them all to death. For a brief moment Astoria froze, her mind working so fast to find a solution that when Bellamy saw the look on her face, it only confirmed that the horn couldn't mean anything good.

Bellamy never thought he would see the grounder scared.

He didn't waste time before grabbing her upper arm and roughly twisting her to face him, and that's when Astoria finally managed to acknowledge the others. He opened his mouth to speak, but he wasn't able to get a word out before he was interrupted.

"We need to find shelter," she told him, too quiet for the rest of the group to hear. It was the first time she had spoken to him in a voice that wasn't filled with annoyance or aggravation, and he didn't take it lightly. Bellamy found her eyes and the two had a conversation without words—one that told him that whatever was coming would be enough to kill them. Especially when Astoria tore herself from his grip, grabbing Charlotte and twisting her upper body to look for the fog. When she spotted the yellow air creeping their way she dragged the younger girl behind her as she moved quickly, not caring enough to check if the group was following. She knew there was a series of caves in the area—they had gotten lucky.

"Come on!" Bellamy called to the others, his voice and the sound of leaves crushing under boots telling Astoria that the teenagers didn't have too much pride that they wouldn't follow her to safety. She almost suspected that Bellamy wouldn't. "There are caves this way," he continued, getting in front of her easily due to the injury at her side that had no time to heal. She was sure it would be bleeding once more, and so she let Bellamy take hold of Charlotte to pull her to his side as they moved.

When they reached the caves Bellamy let Charlotte go in first, turning to grab Astoria and pull her the rest of the way. She was shocked that he would help her, though when she groaned in pain and he pushed her inside with no softness in his touch she was able to recognise the man once again. She moved into the cave, stopping for a moment to hold her weight against the rock wall and take some stress off her side. A deep breath left her lips, though her forehead scrunched up when she didn't hear the footsteps of Bellamy following behind her.

She turned back to find him still outside the cave, looking as though he was prepared to go out into the fog to try and save whoever wasn't fast enough to survive. Astoria swallowed her pride, as well as the part of herself that would've liked to see Bellamy go back out to his death, before reaching out and taking his arm in her hand.

He turned to meet her eyes, looking surprised that she hadn't continued into the cave. "You go out there," she began, knowing that he didn't want to hear the words she had to say. "And you die with him."