14

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first."

—Suzanne Collins

Unbeknownst to Astoria, while she was sick in the dropship there was a small group tasked with blowing up the bridge that separated the teenagers from the grounders. They had succeeded and bought themselves some time before her people attacked.

Now, she stood outside the camp walls with Clarke and a few others as they prepared the grounds for a fight. It had been two days, but neither Astoria nor any of the hundred patrols had seen any signs of grounders. It only made her more worried, but they needed all the time they could to get ready.

Clarke moved to stand next to her, scanning the trees. "What are you thinking?" the blonde wondered.

Astoria released a sigh, playing the with the string of the bow that was hung over her back. "You want the truth?" she looked to her friend from the corner of her eye, catching the small nod. "I think that we won't be able to stop them."

It was the truth—even if they managed to defeat Trikru, the other clans would descend upon them in a fortnight. No matter how many guns the teenagers had, or how much time they were given to prepare, the grounders would arrive and roll over their camp like a storm. Especially since there had been no contact from the Ark for days.

"I think you should've given me up when you had the chance," Astoria added after a moment of silence, not taking her eyes off the trees.

Clarke wasn't given the chance to respond before Bellamy's voice was heard from behind them. Astoria took a second to look over her shoulder as the man approached, eyes on her, before she turned to Clarke once more.

"I'll be in the dropship," she whispered, quickly moving back to camp before Bellamy could stop her.

Clarke watched her go, looking to Bellamy when he stopped beside her. His eyes were glued to the grounder, however, and the blonde sighed. "Back to ignoring each other?" she questioned, noting how this wasn't the first time she had seen both of them make excuses to avoid speaking over the past few days.

Bellamy didn't answer, instead focusing on the pressing problem. The grounders were coming, and they needed to be ready when they arrived.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Astoria hadn't been there when the smokehouse fire started, but she had heard the delinquents shouting "Fire!" from her place in dropship and quickly rushed outside. No one was injured, but as herself and Bellamy looked over the ashes she knew most of the camps supply of food had been destroyed.

"We can't eat nuts and berries and expect to win a fight against a grounder army," Astoria told him, and he turned to look at her. She kept herself from eying his features too closely, not wanting to be caught fawning.