06

"While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself

"While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself."

―Douglas Horton

Astoria found Wells siting just outside of camp, all by himself keeping guard. At first she had remained in her tree, perched up high to watch and make sure no one came out of the woods to ambush him. Then, after a long moment of contemplation, she got down.

He was surprised when she took a seat next to him, but he wasn't afraid. He trusted her, and he believed she trusted him as well. He had stood up for her when Bellamy wanted to keep her tied up, and he helped to convince the others to let her stay. They had an unspoken bond of mutual respect.

"Jasper is better already," Wells informed the girl, having noticed how she loomed around the dropship but never actually went in. He knew she believed she was unwelcome, but he also could sense that she wanted to help in any way she could—or, at least, he'd like to think she did. "He'll be up and moving around again by the morning."

It had been a day since the acid fog—since Clarke, Finn and Wells followed Astoria's tip to get the seaweed that helped save Jasper. Lincoln had used it on Astoria before, but she herself was not completely sure where he got it. Luckily the group was able to find some, and find shelter to hide from the fog when it came.

Since she killed Atom, Bellamy hadn't spoken to her, but in truth Astoria hadn't seen him much. She had stayed in her tree mostly, over seeing the camp and going out at night to find herself food so she wouldn't have to take from the teenagers. She didn't want to put herself in a position where she would owe them.

"That's good," the grounder responded eventually. Wells was right; she had worried about the outcome of Jaspers wound. She was glad to hear he had survived, especially since it was her people who hurt him. She didn't need another reason for the group to distrust her. "I never thanked you," she continued, turning her head to look at the boy as she spoke to him. He seemed confused at her words, though it was clear he was also surprised that she would thank anyone for anything. "For convincing the others to let me stay. I'm sure it wasn't easy."

Wells just shrugged, not believing he needed to be thanked for such a simple thing. He believed everyone deserved a chance to prove they could be trusted. Astoria was right, he was too good.

"It's the least I could do, you saved us all from that panther." Astoria couldn't help but give the boy a small smile. He was one of her only friends (the other being Lincoln, though she hadn't spoken to him in months), if he even considered her to be one.

Then the two sat in silence, until eventually Astoria excused herself to try and get sleep before the sun fully set. They didn't have much of a conversation, but still, she wasn't sure what her place would be with the hundred without him.