31

"True siblings are bound together by far more essential things than blood

"True siblings are bound together by far more essential things than blood."

―Constantina Maud

Two nights passed since they first heard from Bellamy, and Astoria hadn't been back to Engineering once. She couldn't bring herself to, no matter how much she wished to hear Bellamy's voice and ensure he was okay. Raven updated her every night in their shared room, and every night she told her that Bellamy asked if she was there.

Kane had begun teaching her how to properly shoot a gun, and despite his attempts to get her to use one of the larger rifles, she was set on sticking to her pistol. She was much better at aiming with it now, and the older man was impressed with how quickly she picked it up. It wasn't that much different to shooting her bow when it came to hitting her target; the only thing she found difficult was the kick the gun pushed against her arms when it was fired. Once she got used to that, it was easy.

Abby told her she was lucky her arm didn't got infected, because she used her dirty blade to cut it open and didn't disinfect her hand before digging under the skin. Astoria had pretended to listen, but once Abby was finished rewrapping the cut she left the medical ward quickly and without a word. She was glad it wasn't infected, because she didn't have time to focus on herself.

The plan was for her, Clarke, and a few other Skaikru members to journey to Tondc to meet the Commander and discuss the plan to attack Mount Weather. It was the morning they were suppose to leave when Kane found Astoria and told her that he would be taking Clarke's place, and surprisingly she didn't ask too many questions. Instead she nodded her head and tightened her hold on her bag, which held two books and the walkie-talkies Raven gave her.

The got there a few hours before the sunset, and Astoria remained close to Kane incase he needed anything translated. Octavia had rushed off to find Indra the moment they arrived, and Astoria smiled to herself. The younger girl was nearly more of a grounder than she was.

When she found Oran in the crowd, she took a moment to simply observe him. He was bent down in front of one of the village elders, a jug of water in his hands that he was helping the woman drink. He smiled to her when she patted his face in thanks, and Astoria watched as they spoke for a few more moments. She couldn't hear them from so far away, but she didn't mind. She enjoyed seeing her brother look so calm.

"Who is he?" Kane asked, trying not to pry but also very curious. The man had loomed around them during their first visit to Tondc, and he had been quick to help Raven free from the tree his people tied her to.

"My brother," Astoria whispered, smiling slightly as Oran stood up straight and moved away from the woman. When he caught eyes with his sister he stilled, and she spared a glance to Kane. "I'll be right back," she promised.

The man only shook his head, "Take your time."

The siblings met halfway, and stood in silence for much too long. "Any word from Bellamy yet?" Oran finally asked, and Astoria wondered if he truly cared or if he was just trying to make conversation.