Ch. 16 Cursed

Angela was about to close up the funeral home for the night when her phone rang. She smiled when she saw her friend's name on the caller ID; it felt like she hadn't talked to Rosa in a long time. "Hey Ro," she greeted, leaning back in her desk chair. "What's up?"

"Hey um...you talk to your man or your primo at all?" Rosa's voice wavered a bit. (Cousin)

The hairs on the back of Angela's neck stood on end; it sounded like Rosa had been crying. Rosa rarely cried. Not unless something big happened. "N-no. Is everything okay? What happened?"

She sniffled a bit before clearing her throat. "I um...word on the street is...a Son killed Esai. Plain view. In the park."

Angela's breath caught in her throat. She couldn't have heard her right. "What?"

"A Son killed Esai. He and his dad went to the park and somethin' happened. I don't know anythin' more than that. Called you as soon as I found out," she explained, her voice cracking a little.

A Son killed Esai, the words kept replaying in her head. Over and over again. Esai was dead. Whatever he'd done, that big fuck up he'd told her about, had sent him to his grave. Her stomach churned; Esai had hurt her...over and over again, but she hadn't wanted him dead, and she certainly hadn't wanted a Son to do it. "Is Raffa okay?"

"Raf is fine. A fuckin' mess, pero alive," Rosa replied, and knowing her friend, she was raking a hand through her hair. "He...he um...he said E went to see you the night before. That he smacked you. Thinks that's what caused all this."

Tears sprung to Angela's eyes; she hadn't thought of that. Had Juice told Happy? Was this his sick way of avenging her for all the shit Esai had pulled in the past? "N-no. They're not that dumb, Rosa. This...this could start a war. No one wants that. They wouldn't do that over some stupid slap."

"I dunno..."

"Ro, this wasn't the first time he did somethin' like this. We both know that. Hap's never...he's threatened it, but he never did it, and Juice? He wouldn't do that. He's not an idiot."

Rosa sighed heavily. "Yeah, you're right, you're right," she said, though Angela could tell she didn't really believe her. "I gotta go, pero keep me posted if you hear anythin'. Love you."

"Y-yeah. Love you too."

She hung up the phone with a snap, grabbing her keys and stepping outside. She doubled over, taking deep breaths as she fought the urge to vomit. Esai was dead. Raj was dead. How come every man she ever loved was dead? Was Juice next? No. She would not let her mind go down that path. No way. With shaking hands, she got into her car, speeding towards the clubhouse. Juice had told her to meet him there after work. Apparently, there was some big party. Were they...celebrating Esai's death? No. There was no way they would be so bold as to celebrate such a heinous act. Flaunt it in the Mayans' face. They weren't that stupid.

The party was going strong when she pulled into the compound. Some guys were fighting in the ring as usual. Sweetbutts of all shapes and sizes were milling about. She parked in the first spot she could, walking quickly towards the front door. A few people called out their greetings behind her, but she ignored them and pushed inside.

The place was dark, crowded with people as usual, but over the music, she could hear the familiar buzz of the tattoo machine. Glancing towards the bar, she spotted her cousin leaning against it, arms outstretched in either direction. A sweetbutt was sitting in front of him, inking another happy face onto the collection he had on his stomach. Bile rose up in her throat; Happy had finally killed Esai, and the Sons were celebrating.