Ch. 21 Protection

Angela didn't sleep that night. She couldn't. Her brain was on overdrive. Flashes of Donna on the ground bleeding from the head brought with them flashes of Raj on the ground after the accident. There'd been so much blood. She moved in closer to Juice, setting her ear against his heart and letting the sound of its strong beating soothe her. He was asleep, yes, but she knew it wasn't deep; his usual snore was missing. His arm tightened around her waist, the feel of its weight on her hip familiar and comforting. She knew if she said his name, she'd wake him up, but she didn't want to do that. He needed sleep, no matter how bad the quality of it was. His heartbeat lulled in her into a light doze, but she woke up soon after, the sun shining in her face. Groaning, she untangled herself and sat at the edge of the bed, legs dangling over the side. She inhaled deeply before exhaling and getting on her feet. Turning, she pulled the comforter up higher over Juice's shoulder before heading towards the kitchen. She went through the motions of starting the coffee pot. Opening the fridge, she considered her options before grabbing a few eggs, some cheese, and spinach to make omelets.

She zoned out a bit, lost in her own thoughts while she went through the familiar motions of making the omelet. A familiar warmth spread through her when she heard Juice's clumsy footsteps near. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him look her over as he leaned against the kitchen entry way. "Mornin'," she greeted, smiling a little to herself when she saw the surprised look on his face. "You walk like an elephant."

He smirked, stepping up behind her and sliding his arms around her waist. "Mornin', beautiful," he murmured, kissing her shoulder. He nuzzled his nose against her neck for a brief moment. "You sleep at all?"

She shrugged in response, her shoulders rising and falling as she sighed. "Here and there," she answered honestly. She leaned back into him, his warmth soaking into her bones giving her strength. "Waiting for Skeeter to call. Coroner's are doin' their exam today. Skeet pulled some strings to get her released same day. He's gonna pick her up, and I'll prep her later today so she'll be ready for tomorrow."

"Maybe you should let him do it," he suggested, his voice soft and hesitant.

Angela knew he didn't mean to offend her, and he hadn't. She knew he was confident in her skills; his worry was about how it affected her head. She turned in his arms to face him, moving her arms around his neck. "I'll be okay. I want to make sure things are done right for her. Skeet's good at what he does, but he..."

"Isn't as good as you," Juice finished with a look of pride. He tucked a stray hair behind her ear, brushing his thumb over her cheek before catching her lips in a quick kiss. "You want company?"

She smiled faintly, shaking her head. "I'll be fine, thanks. You got biker buddy stuff anyway."

"Biker buddy stuff," he repeated, wrinkling his nose in distaste. She smiled and kissed the little wrinkle. She loved teasing him about said 'biker buddy stuff' knowing it only mildly annoyed him. "You call it that in front of Hap?"

"Just once," she replied on a grimace. That had earned her a headlock and one hell of a noogie from Happy. Just thinking about it made her scalp ache. She turned back around when she heard the food start to sizzle. "Not about to do that again."

He stepped behind her again as if he wasn't ready to let her go. She didn't mind one bit, enjoying the feeling of having him wrapped around her as she went about flipping the omelet. She plated it with a little smile. "For you."

"Thanks, baby," he murmured, kissing her temple before letting her go. He grabbed a fork, digging into the omelet. "Think I'm gonna have someone go to the funeral home with you. Make sure you're safe."

She poured herself a cup of coffee, shaking her head at him. He'd mentioned the day before that he wasn't going to let her be alone, but she didn't think he was serious; the Sons didn't have enough people to do that. "Not necessary," she said, fixing her coffee the way she liked.