Chapter 8 - School

Chapter 8 School

"I don't think so!"

"Willow, I know you've been home schooled up to this point but we can't home school you here!"

"I didn't have anyone home schooling me at Burnywood!"

"It's different here..."

"No I refuse to go to school!"

"Willow.." Tracy says softly.

"What?"

"How did you home school yourself at Burnywood?"

"I bought the home schooling equiment"

"Do you still have it?"

"Yeah... It's at the bottom of one of my suitcases why?"

"Well Mike, why carnt she keep doing what she was doing before?"

Mike takes in this information.

"Please.." I pled with tears in my eyes. I can't go to school. The bullies. When Electra tells them about me. They'll bully me for sure. It's bad enough being in care.

"How about if you try it for a week?"

"No"

"Well then I'm sorry..."

"No! How about a day? If I don't like it I'll do my home schooling" my voice paniced.

"Okay, try it for one day, you'll like it Willow"

Yeah that's what they said last time until I got bullied for being a care kid.

"Okay... Thanks Mike" I say before Fopening the office door to leave.

As I step outside I walk into Frank. I look around to see everyone standing around the office. They heard everything.

"Your all such creeps!" I yell before shoving Frank out of my way and running up the stairs.

"Says the... Ow Liam!" Yells Electra.

I slam my door with my heart bouncing. She nearly said it. She nearly said something about my past. I kick the door in my anger. Slaming my fists on it, I keep doing it. It doesn't make me calm just more angry. I take deep breaths.

"Willow? You alri'?" Liam's voice from behind my door asks.

"Oh so your talking to me again?" I say sarcastic remembering all the glares he gave me at breakfast this morning before he left for school.

I hear a sigh.

"Look I was angry at you for yesturday"

"And what did I do yesterday that was so bad?"

"You said you didn't trust me, I'm the only one in this house that's been nice to you, you've scared everyone else away"

"That's no excuse to get all angry at me! You don't do that!"

"Oh really says the girl that's after gettin mad with Mike 'bout school"

I think about that. It's true. I did do that.

"I guess your right, forget I said that" I laugh alittle bit.

"Are you laughing?"

"Yeah..."

I stop laughing. I feel better. I'm not angry anymore. I open the door and mototion him inside.

"I've never done that before"

"What laugh? You have so!"

"Nope, I didn't think I could" I say seriously.

"Your kidding?"

"No, I never had anything to laugh about, I've always been sad, lonley, depressed and angry that I was never happy or funny"

He looks at me oddly.

"What do you call a sheep with no legs?"

"What? How does this fit the conversation?" I ask confused at his sudden random question.

"What do you call a sheep with no legs?"

"Eh... I don't know, what do you call a sheep with no legs?"

"A cloud" he does jazz hands as he smiles like a clown.

I laugh alittle. Not at the joke but the way he said it.

"Little Robert asked his mother for two cents. "What did you do with the money I gave you yesterday?"

"I gave it to a poor old woman," he answered.

"You're a good boy," said the mother proudly. "Here are two cents more. But why are you so interested in the old woman?"

"She is the one who sells the candy."

I laugh alittle longer, feeling so much better.

"Thanks Liam"

He laughs.

"Your alri'"

"Hey Liam we playin a game of footie? Come on you, Johnny, Harry and me" calls Frank from the doorway, half afraid to come in.

I smile awkwardly and nod at him. He looks down and he bites his lip. Almost as if he's trying not to say something.

"I'm coming Frank"

Liam smiles at me before leaving my room. Did Frank usually act like that? I wonder to myself. I sit on my bed trying to remember the last time I laughed.

Flashback to a small garden. The sun's shining brightly. Four year old Willow plays tag with her brothers and sisters. Connor grabs her and lifts her up.

"Your it Will"

Willow laughs happily along with her brothers and sisters.

End of flashback.

Holding my head in my arms I exhale sharply. My eyes watering. We never looked so healthy.