Chapter 11 - Stereo Hearts

Chapter 11. Stereo Hearts.

"I can't believe he said yes!" Screams Scarlett excitedly in my eardrum.

"I'm sorry I didn't hear that? Think I'm gone deaf"

Scarlett laughs and sighs lovestruck again as Liam and Frank walk over to us.

It's Saturday and the weather is boiling.

"Were we going?" I ask.

"Park, we've only got till 'bout 7 thought"

"Plenty of time, it's only 2, come on lads"

Scarlett happily takes Frank by the arm and nearly drags him on down the road.

"Well well well looks like were stuck together Willow"

I punch him softly in the arm.

"Ahh what I was only kidding!"

I laugh at him. We follow Frank and Scarlett. There laughing. I can't believe that Scarlett could be so full of life after the life she's had.

I look away and at the ground not feeling comfortable. Liam suddenly nudges me.

"Look" he whispers.

He's staring at Scarlett and Franks hands. Frank reaches out and holds it happily.

My jaw drops. Only two weeks ago Frank didn't like Scarlett now he was holding her hand and making her blush.

"Well that's something you don't see everyday"

"Hey guys don't make this awkward for us" Liam shouts.

Scarlett looks back biting her lip. Giving me her sign that she wants to be alone with Frank. Liam starts to bounce the ball on the sidewalk.

As we walk through the gates of the park I grap his arm.

"Hey... Liam let's go to the swings"

"Oh so were on a date now?" He smiles cheekily at me.

I roll my eyes and wink at Scarlett.

"Race ya!" I yell and start running.

"Your on Carroll!"

Laughing I keep running to the swings. I don't stop until I reach the swings and panting. Liam reaches me in five minutes.

"There gone off together"

They walk by us. They seem to not even notice us. Their stuck in a world of there own. Their actions reminding me of Roxie and Connor.

My eyes prick with tears. I can't take my eyes away from them. There like Roxie and Connor. I can't breathe properly.

"... Are you even listening to me Willow? Hey Carroll... Willow?"

I feel the hot tears on my face. Roxie and Connor's face filling my mind. One of Roxie before the attic and one after. The same with Connor. I gasp realising something I never noticed. Connor didn't look anything like us. I remember that once before the attic that Ma and Da were fighting with Connor about something.

*Flashback*

"Connor you can't just stay out all night! It's not safe!"

"I can do what I want Amy, I'm not your son, you think I wouldn't find out?"

"Connor that's enough"

"No Gary it's not, I was adopted!"

*end of flashback*

How could I not have known? Granted I was only four and I didn't understand what was going on at the time but that didn't matter. Connor wasn't us. Connor wasn't a Carroll. He wasn't my brother. We didn't need to be locked up. Roxie and Connor never sinned.

"Willow"

"He... He wasn't a Carroll... They... They didn't have to die... We didn't need to be locked up" I whisper.

"Willow what are you talking about? Who wasn't a Carroll? Who didn't need to die? Why were you locked up? Who where you locked up with?"

The tears are faster. I gulp.

"Willow?"

He's infront of me. He grabs my arms and I look down.

"Willow? What's wrong"

"They look like Roxie and Connor" I wail.

"Who're Roxie and Connor?"

"They were my sister and my brother... I think"

"Your not making much sense Willow"

I sniff and look at him. Sick of having all the weight and pain on my shoulders.

"You know the tall blonde guy and the tall girl with red hair in my photo on my dresser? That's them, that was my family"

"Was?"

"When I was three my parents died in an car crash, we went to live with our Grandmother"

"And?"

"Roxie and Connor where together, Grandmother believed we were sinners, locked us away in an attic, starved us, beat us and killed us"

His eyes are bulging.

"You know I had a twin brother Sam? He died infront of me, all of them did"

"How did you escape?"

"On my last day in the attic Grandmother came and shot who hadn't died of starvation, Roxie and me where the only one's left, I hid while Grandmother shot Roxie, she left the door open, I ran and rang the police"

He toutches my face softly.

"You shouldn't have to live through that Willow"

I sober up from my tears. They dry but my voice cracks. I watch Frank and Scarlett turn a conour.

"Nobody should have to live through what I lived through"

Relaxing back now I feel suddenly free, like the weight on my shoulders isn't as heavy as before.

I smile a small smile.

"I feel better saying that"

"Good, now ya think ya can beat me at footie now do ya?"

"O' Donavan I know I can"

He smiles cheekily at me and takes my hands in his. He's a head taller than me. His eyes go soft for a minute as my heart thumps hard agaisnt my chest.

"You brought the ball right?"

"Coarse I did, see"

He looks down at our feet. He's still holding my hands. They must block my view of the ball.

"Willow..."

"Hmmm?"

I look up at him. My dark curly hair bouncing everywhere until they sweep my shoulders and stop.

I can't stop him before he leans in. All I can think about is how much like chocolate his eyes are. He searches my face for something but having found nothing, kisses my lips gently. His lips feel like soft warm petals. I supprise myself as I kiss him back. I'd never even got to hold a boys hand before and here I am standing in the middle of a park kissing one. The sunshines warmly on my back. Filling the park with the sun's shine and the sun's warmth. I feel that I hadn't died with Sam, that I did really escape. That now after so many years of feeling like I was still locked up in the attic that I'm finally free. And to tell you the truth it tasted fine too.