Distractions

3rd Person

They move through the packed sidewalk and walk into an unsuspecting woman, knocking her aside by the shoulder. They push our way between two women who are talking to each other and are unaware that they're coming through.

They approach a man who's wearing a scarf and grab the scarf right off of his neck.

Claude has the scarf as the man looks around and doesn't see anyone. Claude, Sage Peter are walking through the sidewalk, Peter holding her hand so they can both be invisible.

"I don't see how petty theft is part of my training."

Claude rolls the scarf and tucks it into his pocket.

"There's a lot you don't see. You've no idea how to use these gifts of yours properly.

Claude lifts a pretzel right off a sidewalk vendor's cart."Yeah, and you do? " Claude offers it to Peter.

"No, I -"

"Right now, your abilities only show up as a reflex. Autonomic, like swallowing. That's a dog's trick. Making it a conscious choice, using it, that's what makes you more than poodle."

"Is insulting me really gonna help me learn how to do that?"

"Listen, you're the one who's a bomb set to blow up me and everyone in this city unless I can get you housebroken." A man pushing a rack of clothes heads straight for them. Claude puts his hand out and stops the rack in its tracks. The man looks around to see why the rack isn't moving.
"That's right, now he's listening. Now, you absorb all these abilities you find, yeah?" Peter nods. "You're invisible with me, you've flown, you've read some minds."

"Yeah, put me in a coma for two weeks."

"Your body doesn't know what to do with them all. It's gotten jumbled, like file cards knocking around a shoebox. Except with you, the cards are dowsed in plutonium, piling up to a critical mass. Now, I'm gonna teach you how to pull 'em out, one at a time." The man with the rack is perplexed as to why it's not moving."You think that's possible?"
Peter and Claude are on the move again. A man is knocked aside. "I hope so. Next time you shut down, it might not be just a coma. Might be the day you melt down."

"So then, let's get to today's lesson."

"Alright, let's start by seeing if you can hold on to one of your powers without your benefactors hanging around."

"You think I can do that alone?" Claude looks at Peter. He reaches to the side of him and grabs a woman's handbag right off her arm. "We're about to find out." With a huge smile on his face, Claude shoves the handbag into Peter's chest and tugs on Sage taking her with him. Peter automatically grabs the bag. "Remember to breathe."

Claude leaves with Sage The woman rubs her arm and looks around. She faces the direction Peter is in and doesn't see him. She turns around and looks in the opposite direction. When she turns back, Peter is standing there clutching the bag to him with both hands. She points to him and shouts. "HEY!" Peter stares at her and breathes deep, gasping breaths. Sage tries to pull back and stops Claude. "We can't leave him there." She says and then continues "I have to leave. I'm not watching any of this anymore. Tell him, i'm not staying to watch"

He finally walk back and Claude is laughing. Peter keeps up with him as they walk invisibly through the crowded sidewalk, not caring whom they bump into. "Thanks for almost getting me arrested. Where's Sage?"

"She left. Didn't wanna watch. And a little more focus, you'd have had some cash and fresh lipstick. I never said it'd be easy. In fact, I think I said repeatedly it'd be crap."