Run!

A/n: To explain. Nathan had an a relationship with Meredith befor he was with Heidi, his wife. Meredith got pregnant and Nathan left. One day when Meredith was in her house or apartment, idk, someone set a fire and since Claire can regenerate she didn't die AND Meredith didn't die either because her power is fire. So she is like a human flame thrower, but people thought she was dead because they didn't find her body.)

Nathan is at his desk when the phone rings. He answers it. "Hello?"

"Um ... You might not remember me. We — we haven't spoken in a long time, but ... I just had ... our daughter just found me. Did you hear what I just said? She's alive."

"Meredith?"

[INT. MEREDITH'S TRAILER]

"We need to talk." Nathan doesn't say anything. "Nathan, are you still there?" Nathan stumbles upon his words. "It's — it's been fourteen years. I went to your funeral."

"Look, that fire – it — it wasn't an accident. Someone was out to get me, and the police, they just assumed I was dead, so ... I ran."

"And our daughter?"

"Well, she's got an angel on her shoulder, that one. She was adopted by a nice family here in Texas. She's sixteen now. And she's beautiful. She's got blond hair, like me. And she is smart, just like you. Maybe one day she'll run for Congress."

(A/n: P.S, its claire)

"The timing of ... your call, two weeks before my election, that — that's not a coincidence, is it?"

"A child born out of wedlock, that's big news. You wouldn't want that to come out. Ruin things for you."

"How much do you want?"

"Oh, um ..." Meredith doesn't say anything but Nathan continues "$100,000?" The woman nods "Yeah. That oughta cover it. I'll let you know where to send it." Nathan puts the phone down

—————

Nathan talks with his mother. "We reap what we sow, Nathan. You have no one to blame but yourself." Nathan closes the blinds to the hallway window. "I'll go down to Texas and handle it."

"So close to the election? Don't be ridiculous. If the press gets wind of this, especially on the heels of the Linderman scandal —" Nathan interrupts his mother "I cared about Meredith once. I owe her more than a phone call. I owe them both. Besides. I'm this girl's father, come on."

"You're a glorified sperm donor. Don't get emotionally attached." She says to him, but Nathan shakes his head "How can you be so cold?" She shrugs but answers "Because I know you, Nathan. Beneath the gruff exterior, you're a sap. The moment that young girl looks at you with her sad little weepy eyes, you're lost, you're finished. You'll start giving, and she'll start taking until there's nothing left. So prioritize, Nathan. Wire the money to Texas. Focus on the people who really matter."

—————

(A/n: To explain again. Claire already knew she was adopted, so when she grew up she started getting interested in who her real parents where. So she went behind her parent back and she found Meredith, her real mother but she doesn't know that Nathan is her father. )

[EXT. (KERMIT) MEREDITH'S TRAILER – DAY]

Claire knocks at the front door. Meredith opens the door. "Claire. What are you doing here?"

"I have to see my father. You don't understand. I'll wait here all night if I have to."

"Why don't we take a walk?"

[EXT. TRAILER PARK – DAY – CONTINUOUS]

Claire and Meredith walk. "It's my mom ... She's sick and I think it's bad."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. How can I help?" She asked concerned  "You said my father had money. You said he had power and that he wanted to help us. I thought maybe he could —"

"Oh, honey, honey— I didn't mean that kind of help. I mean just money." Claire shakes her head "I don't understand."

"Your daddy — He's, um ..." She sighs.
"How do I explain this?" She asked trying to put her words together as she sits down "He's ... When your daddy found out that I was pregnant with you ... What I'm trying to say is that you can't count on him. He'll give us cash because that's easy. But anything else, he'll just disappoint you."

"He doesn't even want to meet me?"

"Oh, Claire. Please."

"Why'd you even tell me about him?"

"Because he wants to give us some money. $50,000, and you're entitled to half of that."

"I don't want his money." She says a bit upset. "I, uh, I'm heading back to Mexico for a while. So we're probably not gonna see each other. I want you to take real good care of yourself, okay?" Claire nods. She gets up and starts walking away. Meredith stops her. "Hang on. So I can remember that sweet face." She takes her camera phone out of her pocket and snaps a photo of Claire. Claire turns and leaves. Meredith sits down on the park bench.

—————

[INT. (KERMIT) TRAILER PARK — DAY]

Nathan sits down across the small table from Meredith. "Look, for what it's worth, I'm sorry for the way things turned out. You know, I could've been a —" He clears his throat. "A much better person back then."

"You politicians, you sure know your way around an apology. You and me, we were never gonna work out. Two diff —"

"Different worlds". They say in unison "Yeah." Nathan takes out an envelope and puts it on the table in front of Meredith. "I, uh ... I hope this goes a long way toward making up for the fact that I wasn't there. For both of you. So ... Where is she?"

[EXT. OUTSIDE TRAILER]

Claire sits outside the window listening to their conversation. "Claire? You just missed her."

"Did she want to see me?"

"Yeah. I snapped a photo of her." Meredith looks at the camera phone photo. "Look how beautiful she is." Nathan hesitates to look at the picture
"I'm—I'm sure she is."

"Take a look, Nathan." Nathan takes the phone and looks at the photo. "She came here with her bags all packed. She thought you were gonna rescue her from her tragic life. That sound familiar? I told her you're just here to pay your money and go." Nathan can't take his eyes off the photo. "Did I speak out of turn? I could call her. I could get her to come back."

Outside, Claire nods her head, hoping he'll agree. "You did fine. You did just fine. I should probably be heading back to my family." Claire gets up from her position outside the window. She crouches low as the front door slams shut and Nathan heads back to his car. She watches him get into his car. He closes the door.

Claire picks up a rock. The car starts to leave. She throws the rock and hits the back window, cracking the glass. The car comes to a screeching stop. Claire's startled. She turns and runs.

[INT. CAR (STOPPED) – CONTINUOUS]

Nathan looks back and sees a bunch of kids playing on the road. He looks forward and sniffles. "Just the kids." He mutters. The car continues down the road. Nathan exhales and puts on his sunglasses.