Chapter 7

"Absolutely not" Hijikata bluntly said as he took a sip of the tea Chizuru had brought him. She went to ask permission if they can have a guest stay for a while. It might've been a good idea to ask Hijikata first before she invited the stranger. Now she had to sit there awkwardly and try to convince him, "But Hijikata-san, he is a really kind person. He helped me in the woods" Chizuru explained, the stranger was outside the room listening to their conversation.

Hijikata put down his tea on the desk and furrowed his brow,"What is his name then, Chizuru? If he is so kind did he at least introduce himself to you?"

"Eto, not exactly. But I know he is a good person!"

Hijikata wasn't buying it. After the raid of Choushuu, it wasn't easy to trust just anyone. It was also suspicious Chizuru brought an unknown stranger weeks after it happened. Not really, but they can't have anyone strange in their home.

The shoji door slided open and the stranger came in, with an annoyed expression,"I can introduce myself to you personally if that's what you wanted". He walked in and kneeled next to where Chizuru was, who had a nervous face. Hijikata was grumpy as it was, she really didn't want him to be even more in a bad mood.

Hijikata's violet eyes glazed, as if he was just being threatened, "I see you found a man with no manners, Chizuru", he said crossing his arms. Chizuru laughed nervously trying to ease the tension. The stranger had the same stern look, exactly like Saito's expression but a bit more serious and intimidating.

"Go ahead, ask whatever you like. (Not like I have anything else to do)" the stranger smirked. Hijikata grunted, already not liking the man sitting infront of him. He studied his facial features, to see if there was anything he could get from it. His eyes were a very dark brown almost turning black. His hair was also dark, it was naturally straight and quite messy. His skin was perfect, it could be as smooth as Chizuru's.

The stranger scrunched his nose annoyed,"I would appreciate it if you'd stop checking me out. Otherwise I would think you'll fall in love with me" he grunted. Chizuru squeaked and looked at Hijikata, he was starting to loose his patience, he glanced at her giving sign he was ready to kill the man. Chizuru shook her head pleadingly to hold on a little more.

Hijikata straightened his back, ready to interrogate this strange and rude man. Without blinking an eye he began:

Hijikata-"Where are you from?"

Stranger-"It doesn't matter where I'm from, you want to know why I am here don't you?"

Hijikata-"Hmph, then why are you here?"

Stranger-"(To find out about the sword) Chizuru offered me a place to stay. I thought it would be rude to not accept"

Hijikata(raises eyebrow)-"Really? What business do you have here in the town? Or more importantly, with Chizuru?"

Stranger-"I was just simply passing through the town. I lost my home, and regarding Chizuru, I believe she already explained to you my relation to her"

Hijikata-"As you know, we don't shelter freeloaders. Just like Chizuru, you will be doing work also"

Stranger-"(No shit) I've been told"

Hijikata-"Are you affiliated with the Choushuu?"

Stranger-"I don't even know what the hell is that"

Hijikata-"Hmph, for a man with such a sharp tongue you are oblivious to what goes on around you"

Stranger (narrows eyes)-"(I could care less about human issues) Well I did live in the forest, so yes"