Chapter 22

Osamu sat on a wooden box, under the tree, close to Chizuru's room. He had been waiting for her but it was most likely she had spent the night in Souji's room. Just the thought of him getting his hands on Chizuru made his stomach twist in knots. She must've told Green Eyes why she was crying, but if he knew Chizuru, she would keep it to herself. Hopefully...

But what right does he have to say he knows her? He abandoned her for god's sake, without the slightest idea how her life was after he left her at the stairs.

The sun has already risen, Chizuru should be in the kitchen by now preparing the food. It would be nice to pretend nothing ever happened last night, but the secrets were now out.

"She must hate me" he said lowly, his invisible ears drooped to the sides. He can't be without Chizuru now that he has grown accostumed to her, it's like being ripped away from your loved one.

No one can comfort him like her or even deal with his bad temper. He felt rejected, neglected and guilty all at once. Maybe now he can sort of understand how she felt that night.

The delightful aroma of breakfast filled the air. The corners of his mouth drooled. Breakfast was already finished, Osamu got up from the box and went out for a walk. He'd rather give Chizuru space and avoid any unsettling contact.

Chizuru was oddly quiet during breakfast. Well, the whole morning was quiet after all, without Osamu picking at breakfast and her scolding after catching him red handed. She missed his presence but after remembering last night, she could only feel betrayed.

A tear started welling up in her right eye, she wiped it away so no one would notice. Souji of course was the only one who saw the slight movement since he's right next to her,"Got something in your eye, Chizuru-chan?".

She smiled at him, but her voice sounded a little strained and weak,"Oh no, I'm just exhausted Okita-san"

"Yeah, crying all night can really worn you out huh?"

Everyone dropped their chopsticks and stopped chewing to look at them. Did they hear right or was Souji just being playful again? "Okita-san!" Chizuru gasped.

Sanousuke- "You were crying? Why?"

Saito-"I thought I'd heard something odd during the night"

Heisuke-"What did you do to Chizuru!!!??"

Souji-"Nee, don't yell at me short stack. You should be yelling at our beloved guest"

Hijikata-"Enough!!"

He slammed his fist down to shut down the noise, it's too early in the morning for that. He rubbed his temples and regained his calm,"Whatever reason Chizuru was crying is none of our business. It is her decision wether she wants to discuss it or not. So shut your trap and finish breakfast, we have things to discuss".

Heisuke-"Eeh?? But how can we ignore it? We don't know what made her cry! As her protectors we hav-"

Hijikata-"I swear Heisuke, if you don't eat your goddamn breakfast I'll make everyone know here why you ended up crying"

Heisuke was quiet after that.

She was outside washing the dirty cloths. The men were training more than ever now that they were planning an attack, despite the blanket of snow.

Everyone except Osamu, Chizuru left a tray of food for him in the kitchen. She might not want to see him but she doesn't have the heart to let him starve either. He would easily find the food with that keen nose of his, no need for any unwanted interaction...mostly from her part.

Chizuru scrubbed down on a blood stain, belonging to Souji. She begged him countless times to not spar with the other's, but he wouldn't listen. He made too much effort and had another one of his attacks. At any time, Souji would be headed to heaven.