Penché

Part 1: Lead

Twentieth Movement, Penché

Penché

(French pɑ̃ːˈʃei)

ADJECTIVE

Ballet

performed or executed while leaning forward

🖤🤍

The handsome male who leans against the doorframe, sizing you up with an expectant gaze, remarks, "You know I'd be thrilled to see you anytime."

You know that this sentiment is intended for both you and the companion at your side, but the speaker never looks away from you.

"Can you give us a ride somewhere?" Terri inquires. Her hands are balled against her hips, and there's a determined look in her eyes. 

"Yes, easily ," your boyfriend replies instantaneously. His agreement results in an emphatic whoop from the girl beside you.

There's a reason his compliance carries such relief–it's crunch time, and you and Terri are rushing to get everything prepared for your bestie Miranda's birthday.

Miranda's birthdays are always a big ado; tons of people show up, an event space is rented, and on more than one occasion there has been a bounce castle.

This year, however, your lovely friend expects a much tamer affair. You're older now, and perhaps she falsely assumes her excitable friends will let the occasion pass without much pomp and circumstance.

You and Terri, naturally, have other plans. For the last few days, the two of you have been wracking your brains over planning details–theme, location, decor, festivities, etc.

In your fluster to get things right, the two of you have only barely managed to secure a venue–and even that was only accomplished by the skin of your teeth. You crowd-funded amongst Miranda's loved ones to rent an event space at her favorite park.

Today, it's imperative that you acquire pretty much everything else. The event is tomorrow, and you two car-less individuals are scrambling.

"May I ask where we are going?" Baxter asks, and his expression brightens at the sight of your communal excitement. 

His appearance at the front door is a sight for sore eyes both because you need him to make good on his offer to wheel you around any time, and because you'd missed him.

"Baxter, my good friend," Terri smirks, "We're going to the party and craft supply store."

Baxter raises an eyebrow, his interest peaked, "A party store? What's the occasion?"

Terri leans in close and whispers, " Shh! You can't tell anyone, but we're gonna throw Miranda the biggest birthday party of her life!"