Soutenu

Part 2: Follow

Seventh Movement, Soutenu

Soutenu

ˌsuːtnˈuː, French suːtᵊˈnʏ)

ADJECTIVE

Ballet

performed in a carefully sustained manner

(This is a term also given to the movement of the head in turning.)

🤍🖤

You turn your head to look at your two best friends, and your dingy orange cart comes to a squeaky halt. 

"Scott dropped a general shopping list in the group chat," Miranda reveals once she catches sight of you. She holds two different bulbous glass fixtures in her hands, and you assume she must have been comparing them prior to your arrival. 

"That's cool," you remark as you rest your arms on the plastic handle of your shopping cart. "You guys wanna divide and conquer?"

After lunch, several tasks had been outlined for today's completion:

Acquire craft store materials for DIY centerpieces and extra decor.

Secure a rental luxury car for the couple to depart the wedding in, preferably a Corvette.

Get the 'couple of the hour' some quick dance lessons for the big event.

Work on aforementioned DIY crafts with remaining free-time.

The first task on the list had been delegated to you, Terry, Randy, and Baxter, though the latter was currently out in the parking lot trying to swing a sports car over the phone. 

"[Name]," Terry gives you an incredulous look as he tosses a couple of multi-packs of tea-lights into the cart he and Miranda have acquired. "We can't split up ; that's how they die in the movies."

You roll your eyes at him, and pull out your phone to peruse the shopping list yourself. "Terry Brook, this is a Michael's."

"That may be," Miranda remarks, jumping in to defend her silly partner-in-crime. "But I think the crisis still stands. If we shop separately, you'll be stuck with Baxter when he comes back."

"I can handle that," you assure them with a shrug. "I'm doing fine."

Terry and Miranda exchange a knowing look, and you groan internally. "I'm serious!"

"[Nickname], you'll probably kill each other at this rate," Miranda counters, and her expression is deadpan. "Or die of embarrassment."

"Yeah, dude," Terry nods emphatically. "He almost died at lunch already. It seems to me that the forced proximity is a little tough for both of you."

"Even if it's hard, I can just power through until the wedding's over, right?" you murmur, though the admission is reluctant. You feel like this topic isn't one your friends will drop so easily.