chaînés

Part 2: Follow

Fifth Movement, Chaînés

Chaînés

noun, plural chaî·nés [she-neyz; French she-ney]. Ballet.

a series of short, usually rapid, turns performed in a straight line across the stage.

🤍🖤

You link up with the whole gang at Baxter's office the next day, and tensions are rising. Every day that brings the big event closer puts all the more pressure on the remaining time you have to finish the preparations.

"You know," Miranda remarks as you're patiently waiting for your ex to arrive. "This rug reminds me of the old Baxter."

She gestures to the statement rug which juts out from underneath the purple sofa, and you glance at it-black and white herringbone print.

Terry bursts into laughter, "That's so true! It's literally the first Baxter-like thing I've seen."

"What about his business cards?" Miranda points out.

"To no one's surprise," you interject flatly. "His car's black and white too."

"Ooh!" Miranda perks up. "You get a point for that, [Name]. Terry's at zero."

"Since when was this a competition?" Terry pouts.

"Since I awarded points," Miranda teases. The three of you exchange glances, and dissolve into giggles like old times. Scott and Jude don't engage with the shenanigans because they look even more stressed then the day prior.

A knock at the office door heralds Baxter's arrival; he strolls in with his notebook flipped to a clean page, and greets the room without an ounce of yesterday's hostility.

"Good morning, and welcome back," he greets cheerfully. "Thank you for waiting."

This meeting seems reminiscent of the last st first as the happy couple discusses progress and plans with Baxter. But then the strife you'd picked up on last night had aired itself out in front of the whole group, and Scott and Jude enter into a heated disagreement that starts with center-pieces but suggests a deeper issue; Scott cares too much and Jude too little.

As the official planner, Baxter does his best to diffuse the situation. It's clear, however, that even when Miranda gets involved things are much too stiff to let any real progress happen.

The thought of going home to sleep in their house when they're fighting is an uncomfortable one; you find yourself a silent observer, praying for things to work out favorably for everyone involved.

Then, Baxter spares the room a mischievous grin, "What are your opinions on bowling?"

-x-

You're standing in the exact same bowling alley that Baxter took you to on your first sightseeing outing, and being told that you're on a team with Scott and Baxter.

The ravenette has invited everyone to bowl on his dime, and Jude and Scott have elected to be on opposite sides of the battle. Obviously, Jude recruits his little sister, and Terry immediately volunteers.

Jude laughs at Terry's down bad behavior, but doesn't immediately okay the offer.

"Pretty please?" Miranda adds as she bats her lashes cutely.

As much as Jude likes to act rough, he always seems to cave when it comes to his kid sister, "Not much of an argument, but sure. He makes the team."

"Yes!" Terry cheers, and shoots you a wink. "Sorry, guys, but she's my girlfriend. We're kind of a package deal."