Croisé

Part 1: Lead

Twenty-Second Movement, Croisé

Croisé

French pronunciation: [kʁwɑze]; meaning 'crossed.') One of the positions of the body or épaulement. Facing one of the corners of the stage, the body presents at an oblique angle to the audience, such that the audience can see still both shoulders and hips. The working leg may be crossed to the front (devant) or to the back (derrière).

(From Wikipedia)

🖤🤍

You cross your ankles underneath the dining table, and let your eyes coast across the laminated menu in front of you.

"Well, it's just, I've switched over to working full time instead of only part time. Plus, I've been looking at apartments–there's a few I can choose from," Cove remarks across from you; he keeps his gaze low, though all eyes are on him.

Oh man. Oh no.

Though his delivery is uneasy, the weight of his words settle into the pit of your stomach. Summer is basically over. Most of your peers are off to college, your boyfriend is leaving, and Cove Holden has a better idea of his future plans than you. 

Cove–Hand in the Chocolate Fountain, Muffin Stealer, Falls Off the Jungle Gym at Eighteen-Years-Old-Holden.

After he's shared his news with the table, Cove looks up at everyone and smiles sheepishly. You're both proud and jealous of his progress, honestly. 

Today is the last day you can squeeze in with Lee and Liz before they're officially off to their future dorms, and your family + the Holdens have congregated at the local Chinese restaurant to bid the summer farewell.

"I'll be pretty busy from now on," Cove adds. After his progress towards adulthood has washed over you, your mind catches on another snag– apartments. Cove's moving out, and he'll no longer be your neighbor.

The thought of the condo across the way already has your stomach turning, but to factor in the future quiet next door? The fact that you may never have another reason to unlock your window? Geez, that stings.

"Incredible," Mr. Holden grins. "Cove's actually going to make it to adulthood. It's a miracle."

He clasps a hand on Cove's shoulders and continues, "I wasn't convinced I'd be able to rear a kid all the way to this point, but thankfully I lucked out and got the best boy a dad could've asked for."

" Dad ," Cove sighs with watery eyes. "Thanks, I was really lucky too. You're a good dad."

Cove and his father exchange affectionate words, and though you hear them, you find it hard to absorb the happiness of the moment.

You fiddle with a napkin in your lap, and try your best to ignore the growing lump in your throat.

Even so, you think you do a good job hiding your sour mood until Cove speaks up. "I think I'm gonna get up and stretch my legs for a bit, wanna come?"