39. 𝗻𝗼 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱

THE FINAL DOOR PROMPTED THE EXIT TO FREEDOM. They've never been more relieved as they practically tumbled out of the magical door, stumbling outside the front door. Eszter had never been happier to see Westview.

     Eszter wasn't sure how long she'd been trapped in Agatha's basement, nor did she know how much time had passed since she and Wesley were inside the enchanted door. It didn't matter anymore now that they were back in Westview, and the sun was still high in the blue sky. Eszter suspects they weren't gone too long, but it was still too long for her liking.

     "Please, tell me that was it," Eszter held her breath.

     Wesley looked around for a moment, eventually nodding. "Yeah, that was it."

     Eszter sighed quietly in relief, not wanting to be noticeable. She glances at Wesley with a subtle expression. "You took that a lot better than I did."

     She wasn't sure what she was expecting from Wesley; it wasn't Eszter's business, nor did she need to know, but she couldn't shove down her curiosity. Eszter wanted to learn more about Wesley, and she figured it was only fair, but she knew the feeling all too well. Wesley had lied and manipulated her ever since she left her friends in London, yet here she was, worried about said person.

     But Wesley shrugged with an unreadable expression. It wasn't like Eszter could read his mind--whatever magic he was using, Eszter couldn't read him. "After a while, you get used to it," Wesley played off. His face remained blank. Maybe it was because of his traumatic past or because he's good at hiding his pain. "Come on. We gotta find Wanda before Agatha gets what she came for."

     Eszter suspected this reaction, and she didn't blame Wesley's dismissiveness. While it would've been nice to know more about Wesley, Eszter figured the small insight she got was enough.

     "Yeah," Eszter responded distractedly. But when Wesley began to take off, something occurred to her. "Wait!"

     Wesley stopped in his tracks, looking back, confused. "What, why?"

     "I need to find Monica. She somehow got through the Hex, and I don't know how, but I think she might still be here."

     Monica came here looking to save Wanda and me, but I turned her away. But Eszter decided not to add that.

     "Okay. When was the last time you saw her?"

     With everything that happened so suddenly, Eszter thought long and hard. "Um . . . The last time I saw Monica was when Agatha saw us arguing," Eszter instantly felt cold as if someone had just dunked ice water on her head. "You don't think Agatha might've done something, do you?"

     Eszter should've known better than to ask stupid questions. It was evident that Agatha might've done something to Monica; the older witch had caught the rough interaction between Monica and Eszter, overhearing their loud conversation. From the outside point of view, it looked as if Monica was bothering Eszter. At the time, Eszter didn't mind that Agatha had swooped in and helped her escape that moment, but now, Eszter regretted ever walking away.

     "Knowing my mother, I have no doubts she did something."

     Now was Eszter's time to make up to Monica by helping her out of this predicament, considering it was Eszter's fault. At least, it felt like it was. Besides, there was one last thing Eszter needed to do before she could leave.

     "Okay, you go find Wanda and Agatha," Eszter tells Wesley, pushing him slightly forward.

     It was best if they split up. While Eszter looks for Monica, Wesley can go after Agatha first and make sure Wanda is safe. She needed someone to be there for her sister when she couldn't.