Chapter 23

TW: 💦

Given

It was a sunny day. The married couple woke up a little late since they had a nice talk the night prior regarding happenings in their life.

They received an update about Lea's child on their way home that night, and from then, they've talked about how a lot will change and how much it will affect their current lives.

"What did they say?" Asked by Aga who was focused on driving.

"They're having a hard time finding some clues since it was years ago. They went to the hospital I gave birth to, searched for some records and hoped that they can find a CCTV footage of the following days after I gave birth. They said they're still trying to dig deeper, but there were 2 babies  unclaimed that week who were set up for adoption. One was adopted, one went to an orphanage." Lea stated what she acquired from the investigators.

She didn't want to set her hopes high so she just accepted that the process will be tedious.

But it did pain her knowing that her child might have another family. Or that it was sent to an orphanage and is not being treated well, if not being abused or maltreated, then adopted, too.

"They didn't get any CCTV footage?" Aga questioned and took a good look to see that Lea shook her head as she bit her lower lip.

The silence pulled Aga's attention so he peeked at his wife.

"Lea..." He called her by her name. Lea gulped. She looked at him.

"I got all of the footage of me being in the hospital deleted. From the time I went inside to the time I eloped." She admitted, hating herself for what she did.

Whatever she did that day was both thought of and wasn't in her plan. Leaving the baby, although she doubted for a while, she eventually did agree with herself doing when she hit her 7th month.

However, the fleeing, pulling her dextrose, not checking out and not formally paying her bills wasn't in anyway in her mind not until that moment.

Which she didn't have any idea why she did that that time. But now, that she's internalizing everything that happened, she's realizing why...

The thought of leaving without any notice entered her mind after a nurse checked on her and told her that her baby was about to be brought into the room. An idea of running away sparked, so when the nurse left, that's what she did.

Lea now knows the reason... she didn't want to see her baby because she knows that if ever she does, she won't be able to give it up for adoption.

"I wasn't in the right state of mind. I was thinking about everything. My parents who were already disappointed. They already had reasons why they chose to disown me, I don't want to make them feel as if it was the greatest decision if they have known that their daughter hooked up with a stranger and got pregnant at college. I was barely into my 2nd year. The money I had was saved up for my studies, the remaining  was enough for me to survive until I graduated. If I had kept the baby, both of us would've stared at each other, I would've cried with them, not knowing what to do. I doubt you'll believe me when I say I never regretted being a mother. I dreamt to be one. But at that time? I didn't even know if I'll be able to finish my course."

Lea's long statement gave Aga's mind a good time to process. A lot came out of her mouth that he couldn't organize his thoughts to emit what he wants to respond.

"I know the actions I did will never be reasonable. Leaving my child just so I can pursue my dreams. But if I didn't do that, where would we both be right now? I can't risk my future - our future. If I had kept my baby, we both wouldn't know if we had survived it." Although deep inside, Lea's having secondary thoughts.