ⅩⅠⅠ. Roderick 🗡

I was woken up the next morning by a maid. She set down my breakfast then left.

Today was the meeting. And I really hope Meredith remembered our deal. To cooperate. She didn't have to with me, but she most certainly has to with my father. He could kill her within a second if she says the wrong thing.

I got dressed and heard a knock on my door. It wasn't my brothers nor the maid. So I assume it's Clalia.

I walked over and opened the door to not be surprised.

"Where's Meredith?" she asked.

"She should be in her room? Is she not?"

"I was just wondering."

Before I could say anything else, I saw her door open from a distance. She walked out and she wore a burgundy dress. Her hair looked damp like a maid had just bathed her, and she looked nervous.

"Speaking of her, she's right behind her." I say.

Clalia turns around and takes off towards Meredith. I can't tell what she plans, but the second she gets to her, she hugs her tightly. Meredith looked confused and taken back.

I leave my room and close the door. Gawain back at his place. "I thought you had today off?"

"The other guard called out sick. I had to fill in." he said, continuing to look straight.

Another sick?

I ignore that thought and go straight over to Clalia and Meredith. "So how much of a hassle did you make for the maid?" I joke.

Meredith stares at me with no enthusiasm. I could already tell today was not going to be good.

"Father is waiting," I say. "We should go."

We did as I suggested and we headed our way to the council room. I watched Meredith pick at her nails the whole time we walked.

I would've swatted her hands away from one another but I don't feel like getting swung at this morning. We made it to the council room and Meredith stopped near the door.

"Are you feeling alright?" I stopped and whispered to her.

"Yes." She gave me the same tone she gave me yesterday at the infirmary.

"You don't seem well."

"I am."

She was lying. I had already told her she didn't have to. I gently put my hand on her back, hovering a bit, just so I could assure her that she could enter. She walked in and became more tense when she saw my father. I can't blame her, everytime I see or hear him I want to turn the other way.

"I can't do this." she whispered to me. It was so quiet I could barely hear her.

"You'll be fine. He can't hurt you." I whispered back.

I hook my arm around her and walk her to the table, hoping this is taking any off pressure on her leg. I pulled a seat back and let her take it. Then I took the one by her.

"Now that she's no longer passed out," my father began, this wasn't a good start. "What is her name?"

"Like I said from that night–" I try to begin, I'm not sure Meredith will speak.

"Meredith Dyer." She interrupted me.

"Are you lying about your name?"

He was getting too in depth about her name. Which is making me think he doesn't trust her.