Chapter 1

The air was calming, not too cold, not too warm. We were in the middle of spring, outdoors and wearing very warm robes, but somehow I still wasn't sweating.

I looked around nervously, the ceremony had commenced a while ago, but I could hardly focus. I was surrounded by thousands of students, the nerves and excitement were felt in the atmosphere. Everyone was giddy and happy to be surrounded by their loved ones, who came from far away to celebrate their accomplishments.

It was graduation day, after all, and in the Tercentenary Theatre, there was a combination of loved ones and students who anxiously awaited their diplomas. Everyone had someone who had come to see them, or at least that was what it felt like for me because the only people here for me were my best friend - who was also graduating - and my emotional support dog, Mist. And yes, I realize my dog doesn't count as a person, but otherwise, this would be too sad. And I'm currently trying to have a positive outlook in life.

"Arella," Lucy called out, having probably been calling my name for a while.

"Yes?" I said, looking back at her. Lucía Cortés looked beautiful in everything, but she looked radiant in her graduation robe. My friend's beauty was otherworldly, I had never seen anyone more beautiful than her, and that seemed to be a common theme when it came to her.

Lucy was beautiful, popular, and had very kindly adopted me when she met me. The usual case of an introvert being adopted by an extroverted popular person ending up in them becoming best friends. I always forwarded those memes to Lucy because I felt like they were about us.

"Are you okay?" she asked, worry flooding her features.

"I'm fine," I lied, but Lucy could tell, and as I stared into her eyes I felt compelled to tell her, "I just miss her." My sister had been dead for a while now, but the void left by her absence grew more with each passing day.

"I'm sure she would have loved to be here" Lucy squeezed my hand lightly. There was so much light coming out of her, figuratively and for me, literally.

The light was a good thing, light was safe. My sister used to say that often.

"Stay away from the shadows, Ari, nothing good hides in the dark" I never told my sister about my visions, but I had a feeling she always knew.

I wonder if the shadows are what caused my sister to take her own life.

"Stop it," Lucy said with a frown "I can tell where your mind is at, stay here, with me." Her caramel eyes always managed to read me like a book, yet there was something so safe and calm in her presence.

I smiled at her, and just as I was about to talk I heard my name being called out.

"Arella Celéste," the lady conducting the ceremony said.  I handed Mist's leash to Lucy and walked over to get my diploma.

It was fast, I took the piece of paper, shook a few hands, and readied myself to go back to my seat.

 I spotted two people clapping hard in the distance. A woman and a man. They were too far away to make out their faces but they were dressed in black from head to toe, wearing very expensive clothes and sunglasses. The woman wore a sun hat that camouflaged with her raven locks and looked awfully familiar. I had never seen them before, or at least I think I hadn't, but there were shadows all around them, the most shadows I'd ever seen on people.

My stomach dropped and I had to look away because even looking at that much darkness was draining. I ignored it, as I always did, if only because I did not want my sanity to be questioned once more. But I still couldn't help but wonder who they were...

I was sure they weren't my parents, they were too young and looked nothing like them. Besides, my parents were on important business trips, away from each other and away from me, just like they had been ever since my sister passed. I sat down and dismissed it, they probably didn't know me and were just being nice.