Chapter 18

Andras was playing with fire, and he knew it. But fire was like water to a demon.

The moment he showed her the true nature of his eyes he made a bet with destiny. He was hoping she would not remember any of that the next day and based on how easily she seemed to have moved on from what she saw, he would win. But it was risky, nonetheless. Normally too risky for him.

It was like something took over his body for a change and made him react so impulsively.

He couldn't explain it if he tried, he hadn't felt that way in such a long time, he even forgot what that sudden and unpleasant feeling was called. All he knew was that the moment she started hyperventilating his chest hurt, he started sweating and he had no idea why, but dread overtook him completely.

He did the first thing he could think of to calm her down, he distracted her. Hoping she would relax but also snap out of whatever spell she was in.

At least it worked, and she came into the building with him.

Having her so close helped that chest pain cease. So much so that he watched her with a slight smile as she assessed the room.

The building was only filled with humans, he made sure of it. He had placed warding spells around the venue so that no supernatural creature could enter.

In this state, Lilah was way too vulnerable. She had been hidden for years, he could barely feel any celestial energy coming from her, but he, on the other hand, emanated so much power you could feel it from miles away. All kinds of creatures were drawn to power. So technically yes, he was putting her in danger, but it was worth it. Besides, he would set the world on fire if anyone got to her before he got what he wanted.

So, they calmly walked around, saying hello, and engaging in mindless chatter he barely paid attention to. No, he was more interested in how shiny the marble floors were, and how annoyingly white every decoration, thing, or person he saw was. Really, the whole room had a million different shades of white ranging from cream to what he called 'so white he was sure it would look blue under a black light.'

"Wow, they like you," Arella said as they finally walked away from those snooty humans. She never let go of his arm, even as they walked, "They're like moths to a flame."

He stared at her for a moment, scanning her face and body for any sign of the anxiety she was experiencing earlier. But she showed no fear, only an extreme curiosity for her surroundings.

"What can I say? I'm way too handsome" he finally answered. She laughed and he felt a weight lift off him as she looked around enthusiastically. "How are you feeling?" he added, for good measure.

"I'm fine, you're with me," she said sincerely, and a warm comfortable feeling invaded his heart, it was weird, he wanted it gone. But it only seemed to intensify as she finished her thought. "For some reason, as soon as you touch me, I feel safe, like everything's going to be alright."

She looked up at him, still holding his hand, and came closer allowing him to smell her perfume. It was sweet and complex, just like her.

Her midnight blue eyes took him to another dimension, to another time. And he felt like he could see some stars winking back to life. Stars he knew too well "It's the same way for me," he confessed, not even having the energy to be startled by his confession as he stared at her soft pink lips and how she unconsciously ran only the tip of her tongue along the inside of the lower one.

He now noticed how close they were.

He could hear her heart beat faster as she gazed at him, and he knew for a fact that if he touched her skin, it would be burning hot.