Chapter 6

I'll always look for you.

The promise he'd made had been haunting him for the entirety of his existence as a demon. He'd spent his eternity trying to find her, and there she was.

Andras had been staring at Lailah's window for hours. He could have easily knocked on her door and disrupted her fantasy of living a normal human life. But there was a reason he wouldn't, that damn dog. The great wolfhound, Maera. He supposed he shouldn't be surprised they'd sent the damn hound with her. However, it was pitiful that they disguised it as a Samoyed that looked so pathetically harmless.

But as long as that damn creature was around her he would be at a disadvantage, so he opted for spying on her.

 He wondered why she chose to do mundane activities such as graduating from college and living in a dorm. She was as old as he was and as much as he liked learning about humans and their little gadgets and inventions, he'd ended that pursuit after thousands of years of searching for something to occupy his mind. But he found it always came back to her.

Violette joined him a moment later and he could hardly peel his eyes off of Lailah's window to look at her as she spoke.

But then, she revealed new information and he couldn't help but smile at the mention of Azzie. Out of the archangels she was one of the most powerful, but she was also clumsy and had a soft spot for humans. "Do not fret, Azrael is not going to be an issue, I'd be more worried about Jophiel"

"Why?" she asked.

"Jo is very powerful and proud, she does not like to lose because she thinks she's better than everyone else" he rolled his eyes,  he never really got along with her, she was a stick in the mud, and even as an angel, he never really had patience.

"You have nicknames for each other," she said with a teasing smile.

He cringed "We lived in feigned harmony for billions of years, we are bound to be familiar with one another" he sighed "Which is exactly where you come in, come, we are going back to New York."

____

"So where did you get all this information?" Violette asked as she beheld the files he'd collected on her.

"I command entire legions of demons, my dear, it wasn't hard to get some of them to research her human facade," he said casually.

The vampire picked up a file and started reading out loud "Arella Celéste, daughter to Antoine and Jessica Céleste--" she paused "I've been meaning to ask you, how come an angel has parents? Isn't your father God?"

He flinched at the mention but nodded all the same "Remember I told you she was cursed?" Violette nodded " It is part of her curse to be born into a human bloodline and consequently suffer" he would leave it at that. She didn't need to know more details.

"There is something wrong with her," Violette added and he looked up from his phone once more to listen to her with irritation. "I have a feeling something is wrong, the conversation she had with Jophiel was too... normal."

"What do you mean?" he asked, turning his screen off and placing his phone on the table.

"They conversed like two humans, no mention of anything supernatural" She narrowed her eyes at the face he was making "I'm aware they were out in the open but, I still have a feeling something is wrong."

"I don't know, nor do I care," he fidgeted with his black ring, as he always did when he was bored, nervous, excited, or just thinking.

She noticed this and smiled "You wear that every day" she stated the obvious.