Part 8: Kara in Gotham

A few weeks after Kara, Clark and Jimmy were briefed on their trip to Gotham by their boss Perry White, the trio's plane was landing in the city. If the number of maniacs and vigilantes running around in Gotham didn't put you off of the city, the seemingly constant rain would definitely break the last straw. Thankfully, though, the rain did let up when they got to the hotel where Bruce Wayne's event would be held.

(Clark): You doing okay?

(Kara): Yeah. I think so, at least.

(Clark): If you need to step out at any point tomorrow, just let me know, alright?

(Kara): Okay.

(Jimmy): Yeah, you've got this, Kara.

(Kara): Thanks.

Following that, the three got keys for their rooms and unpacked. Kara called (Y/N) on the phone briefly, in which he reassured her that she'd do an amazing job interviewing Bruce Wayne. Following that, she took a shower and went to bed for the night.

The next morning…

(Clark): How'd you sleep?

(Kara): As well as I could. Not sure what I was expecting.

(Jimmy): Yeah, same for me. I haven't been on something this big in a while, even though I don't do any reporting work.

(Kara): Good to know I'm not the only one.

(Clark): If there's anything I can do, just let me know.

(Kara): Thanks, Clark.

(Clark): No problem.

Later that day, more specifically that night, Bruce Wayne's party began. Though, party may be a strong word for it. As far as Kara cared, it was just a bunch of rich people and press workers standing in a big room. At least the food tasted good.

After about fifteen minutes, Bruce Wayne showed up alongside both of his adopted children. They were swarmed by the press as soon as they left the car, which from Kara's point of view, was quite overwhelming for one of them, that being Bruce's daughter Cassandra. As soon as the Waynes entered the building, she was taken aside by the other teen, her brother Tim.

(Clark): Are you ready?

(Kara): As ready as I'm probably gonna be.

(Clark): Just remember what I said earlier, okay?

(Kara): Okay.

After a minute or so, Kara walked up to Bruce's kids to check on them after they moved over to a corner. Thankfully, Cassandra seemed to have calmed down.

(Kara): Hey, are you doing alright?

(Cassandra): Yes.

(Tim): She can get overwhelmed by a lot of sound and bright lights.

(Kara): I get it. I've had that happen before, but probably not as bad as you.

(Cassandra): Really?

(Kara): Oh, totally. You should've seen me when I moved to New York a couple years ago.

(Cassandra): Heh.

(Kara): I'm Kara by the way. I'm going to interview your dad.

(Tim): I'm Tim, this is Cass.

(Cassandra): Hi.

(Kara): Nice to meet you, guys.

(Tim): You too.

(Kara): Hey, I'm gonna go now, but it was great talking with you. I hope you feel better.

(Cassandra): Thanks.

After her talk with the kids, Kara then went back to stand with Clark, who she found was talking to Bruce Wayne himself.

(Clark): Here she is now.

(Bruce): Ah, Ms. Danvers. It's lovely to see you.

(Kara): It's nice to see you too. This is a bit more formal than last time, though.

(Bruce): I couldn't agree more. After that, most things would have been preferable, though.

(Kara): Agreed. I mean, it was all of you and myself against a whole group of guys wuth guns. That wasn't exactly pleasant.

(Bruce): Couldn't agree more.

(Clark): Bruce, when are you going to be making that announcement tonight?

(Bruce): In about an hour, I think. I didn't look at the schedule on the way here.

(Clark): We both know that isn't true. You have backup plans for everything, I assume one speech isn't any different.

(Bruce): That's very true. Anyway, I'm going off to prepare myself. Enjoy yourselves.

(Clark): You too, Bruce.

After about an hour or so of waiting, Kara, Clark and Jimmy, as well as the other party-goers, saw Bruce walk up on stage. He was backed up by a massive curtain folding back to reveal the Wayne Industries logo.

(Bruce): Friends, colleagues and members of the press. For too long, Gotham has been a hotbed of crime, the worst of which are thrown into Arkham, only to escape not long after. For this reason, the Wayne Foundation will be sponsoring a complete overhaul of Arkham Asylum.

Not only will we be updating the interiors of inmate housing, but also the courtyards, cafeterias, greenhouse, and any other places people may be found. We will also be hiring more mental health workers to further push our shared mission with the now-reformed Arkham. That being one focused more on rehabilitation of inmates rather than purely punishing them. We will be assisting them in pursuit of redeeming as many people there as possible.

His announcement was met with applause from the entire room. Following it, Bruce stepped down from the stage and was surrounded by paparazzi asking him for quotes. He largely ignored them as he made his way to his interview with Kara.

(Bruce): Shall we, Ms Danvers?

(Kara): Yeah, of course.

As the pair walked, Bruce spoke to Kara about non-business-related topics when they were out of earshot.

(Bruce): Everyone's looking forward to inducting you into the League, Kara.

(Kara): Really? Who's going to be there?

(Bruce): Apart from you, of course. Your cousin, Wonder Woman, Flash, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern and myself will be there.

(Kara): Wow. I never thought I'd get this far, the Justice League just seemed so far above my paygrade.

(Bruce): I know the feeling. Are you ready for your interview?

(Kara): Uh, yes. I have a notepad, a voice recorder and, uh…where's my pen?

(Bruce): You can borrow mine.

He then handed Kara a pen.

(Kara): Thanks. I'm pretty nervous.

(Bruce): About this or Supergirl business?

(Kara): Both.

(Bruce): I see. We'll be helping in any way we can about your superhero work, but this will be all you, okay?

(Kara): Okay. Thanks again for going along with this.

(Bruce): Any time, kid.

Suffice to say, Kara was nervous near the start of her interview with Bruce, but quickly got the hang of things. It was almost entirely about his Arkham philanthropy, but with some questions about his thoughts on the Batman's role in placing people there to begin with.

At the end of the hour-long interview, both undercover heroes were satisfied with how it went. After returning to her hotel room for the night, Kara called (Y/N) again, telling him about it. He saw the whole announcement on TV waiting for her to show up in the crowd, which, luckily, he did. He congratulated Kara about her first big piece for the Planet and told her that the pair would meet back up as soon as her plane landed back in Metropolis.