ONE

Loud sirens wake me from my sleep

Loud sirens wake me from my sleep. I shoot up from my mattress, clutching at my chest. Ever since I left my stepfather's small farm and made the move to New York, it's taken a while for me to adjust to the hectic night scene.

Glancing at my phone, I notice the time. It was 5 AM and I was already awake for the day. Groaning, I throw my head back against my pillow before trudging across my small apartment toward the shower.

My shift at the diner didn't start for another few hours, but I was not getting any more sleep after that rude awakening. Stepping into the hot water, my thoughts flash back to a few months ago. Before moving, I lived in a small Massachusetts town with my stepfather and stepbrother.

They were both horrible to me, always yelling degrading things and laying their filthy hands all over me. It got so bad, I had to take up boxing to defend myself.

I shudder at the thought, scrubbing my skin raw. They weren't always so terrible, but after losing my mom and sister, they were never the same. I spent five long years putting up with their abuse, right up until my graduation day.

After receiving my diploma and working my ass off all through high school, I had hidden enough money to buy a one-way ticket and set myself up in an apartment.

I found my job shortly after arriving. It took some time to navigate the subway and learn some of the street lingo, but I was getting there. My boss, Darla, was the sweetest woman alive and took over her husband's diner after he passed.

She made me a manager after only a few short months, deeming me reliable. The pay was decent, making just enough to survive.

Stepping out of the shower, I wrap a towel around my body and head into my room. After closing the blinds, I open up my small closet and pull out my uniform.

It consisted of a long sleeve black t-shirt and an all-black skirt that hit just above my knees, I always paired it with a pair of nylons. The uniform didn't bother me, it helped with tips.

Brushing out my hair, I part it down the middle and braid it into two French braids. I think about my best friend back home and how much I missed her.

I hadn't made any friends in the short amount of time I've lived here and truthfully, things were getting lonely.

I let out a sigh as I lace up my Converse and throw on my sweater. Grabbing my purse, I head out the door and lock it behind me.

With a few hours left to spare, I decided to stop by for a coffee before heading down to the subway station and hopping on a train.

I'm sure Darla won't mind if I'm early, I'll start up the inventory. The subway is littered with a few working folks, all waiting for the same train as me.

Pulling out my earbuds, I plug them into my phone and hit shuffle on my playlist. I make sure to leave one out, listening to my surroundings.

The train pulls in after a short wait, I shuffle on quickly. Choosing a spot near the doors, I cross my legs and rub at them.

The only downfall to this skirt, it was freezing. I stay on the train for about a half hour before it finally reaches my stop. I step off and begin the short walk to Darla's.

Rushing inside, the bell above lets out a ring. "We're not open quite yet!" I hear Darla shout from the back. I let out a small laugh, "It's just Lina." I yell back. "Lina, dear? Is that you?"

Isn't that what I just said? Swallowing the sarcastic comment, I make my way behind the counter and through the doors. Darla stood in front of our walk-in fridge, inventory list in hand.

"I woke up a little early and wanted to see if you could use any help." Her face flickers with curiosity, but she quickly shakes it off.

"Of course I do. Can you finish up this list? Also, do you think you can work a double tonight? Amy called out and I really need you." She begs. I grab the list from her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Breathe, Darla. I got this. And yes I can work a double." No problem for me, I needed as many hours and tips as I could get.

Darla lets out a sigh of relief as she disappears up front with her keys in hand. After taking down inventory for a few hours, I finally flick on the open sign and set down the chairs.

The business started picking up mid-day, thankfully my cook and a few other waitresses accompanied me. Darla didn't return until later that evening to relieve me of the overnight shift.

On the weekends, we typically stayed open all night, catching the midnight stragglers. Walking into the alleyway, I dump a few trash bags into the bins and wrap my sweater close to my chest.

I start the walk back toward the subway station, nerves pricking my skin. I hated staying in the station at night, alone. There were always a few homeless people wandering around.

Not all were troubling, but some stick around and harass women like me. Just as I'm about to reach the end of the alleyway, a tall man swings around the corner. He pins a scrawnier-looking fella against the wall, holding a gun to his head.

My eyes fill with fear as I drop to the ground, crouching against the wall. Clasping a hand over my mouth, I keep quiet. "You think you can steal from the Italian mob and get away with it?" I hear the armed man hiss out.

"Please, Elio. I have a family." The other man cries out, his voice laced with fear. Elio, the armed assailant, doesn't let him get another word out as he fires off a gunshot.

I watch as the man's body slumps to the ground. A muffled cry escapes my lips as I realize what I just witnessed. Almost as if he heard me, the armed man turns around quickly.

His head swivels in every direction, searching. Taking a deep breath, I remain still. Once he's finished evaluating the area, he disappears from the alleyway.

I wait a few minutes before jumping up and running towards the train station. Just as I step back onto the street, I feel a large hand snake around my arm and pull me back into the darkness.

He pins me to the wall, his large frame towering over mine. He easily surpassed six foot, while I stood at a measly 5'3

"What all did you hear, bambola?" He asks, his rough Italian voice invading my ears."N-n-nothing, I swear." I stutter out, clamping my mouth shut at my own stupidity.

The man smacks his teeth together, shaking his head. "I don't like liars." He says. I drop my eyes down to my feet as I tremble in fear. He goes to grab my arm but I swing my head forward and headbutt him in the face.

He stumbles back in shock, I take the opportunity to sprint out of the alleyway and towards the substation.

I hear his heavy footsteps pad behind me, causing me to push myself faster. I skim the steps down into the station and just my luck, the train is barely starting to close its doors.

I step onto the platform just as they close, my chest heaving. Elio stands on the other side, a dark look written across his face. I breathe out a sigh of relief as the train takes off, his figure fading away. This wasn't over, he saw my face. He was coming for me.