TWELVE

Elio had been keeping his distance after our heated encounter in the pool house

Elio had been keeping his distance after our heated encounter in the pool house. I won't lie, it hurt my feelings.

Walking down the stairs, I hear hushed voices. Whatever conversation they were having sounded intense.

The moment I stepped off the staircase and into the dining room, the voices go quiet.

Elio sat around the large dinner table with a few other men. They all glanced my way, scrutinizing me under their gaze.

The days had been scorching, leaving me in a pair of silk shorts and a silk tank top. My face heats as I try to cover up my chest.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you had people over. I just needed to get some water." I muster out, locking my eyes with Elio.

He doesn't say anything, just gives me a nod. I feel the men's eyes follow my motions, Elio snaps something out in Italian and the gazes immediately drop.

I breathe out a sigh of relief as I disappear behind the kitchen door. Maria stood at the sink, finishing up whatever dishes remained.

"Hey, Maria." I smile at her. "Hola sweet girl. How has your stay been?" She asks. I give her a look, a look that says how do you think? She lets out a small chuckle, "It seems like you and Mr.DeLuca have grown close."

She trails off, waiting for me to bite. I roll my eyes and pull a glass out of the cupboard. "I'm sure you know just how close he's willing to get. If it isn't physical, I don't think he's interested."

Maria considers my words, "I wouldn't be so sure." With that, she touches my arm gently and walks out of the kitchen. What was that supposed to mean? I sigh.

Grabbing my glass, I pad back out to the dining room. Elio's guests were gone, leaving the room empty. Relief washes over me.

Just as I'm about to step back up the stairs, I spot Elio standing outside. He looks deep in thought as he observes his view.

Against my better judgment, I slide the glass door open and step into the darkness alongside him. He offers me a small glance before returning his gaze to the sky in front of us.

"Everything alright?" I ask him, genuinely concerned. I watch as different emotions flash over his face. "I'm not sure what to make of you, Lina." He says. I'm taken aback by his honesty. "W-what do you mean?"

My brows furrow, he doesn't know what to make of me?

It seems like he pulls away whenever we make real progress with each other.

"I don't think you get the severity of our situation. Both of our lives are on the line if my Don catches me. But all I can think about is how much I want you." I let out a gasp as he turns towards me, his eyes luring me into him.

"What if, I talk to him? Maybe-" Elio cuts me off, not letting me finish. "Damn it, Lina! This life isn't a joke. I'm in the mafia. You watched me kill a man. He is brutal and does not have feelings."