Shelly Bulwark

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Lyssa Wiley was going about her summer just like every other 11-year-old in Little Whinging. They were all running through the suburbs with their friends growing tan under the warm summer sun. Except Lyssa didn't have very many friends. She also had a tendency to get sunburned even when she was wearing sunscreen. So maybe she wasn't just like all the other kids that summer, but she was enjoying her holiday nonetheless.

But one Saturday in early July of 1991 the Wiley family received a knock on the door just after lunch. When Mr. Wiley opened the door he was met with a spindly young woman wearing a dress easily ten years out of date. She carried a briefcase and the smile on her face was almost unsettling. Before the man could turn her away telling her that they don't entertain solicitors the woman was somehow able to charm herself inside. She said that her name was Shelly Bulwark and that it was imperative that she speak to him and his wife as it was a matter concerning their daughter. Mr. Wiley led her to his office at the back of the house, silently wondering when he started allowing strangers into his house, and he called for his wife.

When they were all situated and the door was closed Mr. Wiley finally spoke. "You said that this was a matter concerning our daughter?"

"Oh yes!" Shelly jumped from her seat and placed her briefcase on the desk. "Your daughter has been accepted into a very fine school Mr. and Mrs Wiley. I am here to aid in the transition should your daughter wish to attend."

"Our daughter has not applied to any schools. She attends the public school with all the other kids." Mrs. Wiley turned to her husband with her arms crossed, "What did you do Colin? How could you not tell me?" she hissed.

"I am just as confused as you are Margret, I promise." Mr. Wiley retorted. "I am very sorry but you must have the wrong house we have not applied to any schools."

"Oh silly me," Shelly laughed, "This is not the sort of school one just applies to. No Miss Lyssa was chosen specifically for her aptitude in the institution's specialization." The Wileys looked at the young woman rather confused. Shelly opened the briefcase in front of her and produced a cream-coloured envelope with a large red wax seal in the center and handed it to Mr. Wiley.

Mrs. Wiley moved to her husband's side and carefully read the shiny green script over his shoulder.

Miss L. Wiley,

The backmost bedroom,

17 Clerkenwell Place,

Little Whinging,

Surrey.

The crest on the backside of the letter read Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Mr. Wiley laughed out loud as he read it, very sure now that this was all some kind of practical joke. And if it wasn't for the completely serious look Miss Bulwark wore he might have almost found it funny.

"Laugh all you want Mr. Wiley but I am very serious." Shelly pulled a long wooden wand from her briefcase next. Mrs. Wiley was about to protest whatever it was the witch was preparing to do when Shelly waved the wand through the air. "Wingardium Leviosa," she breathed and suddenly the books on the office's shelves began to float around the room.

Mr. Wiley was taken aback stunned by the magical feat in front of him. However, as he watched the books dance around the room he resigned himself to a level of admiration he didn't quite expect. Magic was real, and it was amazing.

Mrs. Wiley on the other hand had quite the opposite reaction. Whatever this was it seems more complicated than floating books from shelves. She had the unshakable feeling that whatever was happening in front of her was just the tip of a very dark, and very dangerous iceberg. "My daughter will not be a part of such sorcery," she said. Her voice was not loud but it was strong and fierce in a way even she herself did not quite recognise.