The Youngest Player In A Century

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Their first flying lesson was immediately after their first potions class and regrettably, it was also with the Gryffindors. So Lyssa followed her classmates out of the dungeons and out onto the smooth lawn outside the castle. There were twenty brooms lined up on the ground and Madame Hooch stood waiting for her students. Lyssa was very nervous about this lesson because, unfortunately, flying on a broomstick is not something you can prepare for by reading a book. Lyssa just knew that if she screwed up the rest of the Slytherins would mock her endlessly. So with a deep breath, she set aside her bag and walked up to the left side of one of the brooms as instructed.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom," called Madame Hooch from the front, "And say up!"

"UP!" Everyone shouted. Lyssa's broom jumped to her hand immediately unlike many other people's brooms. Once everyone's broom had risen to their hands Madame Hooch showed them how to properly mount them. She walked up and down the aisle and corrected people's grips so that they wouldn't go flying off the ends. Lyssa was only too delighted when she heard the teacher inform Malfoy that he had been doing it wrong all his life.

The next task was to push off from the ground, fly forward slightly and then touch back down. Easy enough, Lyssa thought. But before Madame Hooch could blow the whistle to signal their start Neville kicked off from the ground, probably afraid he'd be left behind.

"Come back, boy!" Madame Hooch shouted, but Nevile was already rising, twelve feet, twenty feet, before Lyssa saw him glance towards the ground. This small peek was his undoing, as he turned white as he slipped off the side of the broom and began to plummet back towards the lawn. With a nasty thump and a loud crack, Neville landed in a heap on the grass. Lyssa was too far away to hear her say exactly what happened but she soon heard Madame Hooch announce to the class that she would be taking Neville to the hospital wing. Though not before she gave a stern threat to everyone to stay off their brooms till she returned.

Everyone had gathered around the spot where Neville fell and no sooner than Madame Hooch was out of earshot did she hear Malfoy and the other Slytherins start to mock Neville. Lyssa didn't care when Malfoy hopped on his broom and took off nor when Harry mounted his and followed him. She merely took this as permission to hop back on her own broom and practice a little bit. No one was paying attention to her now and maybe if she could get over her nervousness alone she would give a much more impressive performance when the lesson resumed.

First, she mounted it just like Madame Hooch had said, then, she breathed in one last time before kicking off from the ground. An unfamiliar, yet not unwelcome, sensation filled her body as she leaned forward just a bit. She leaned left and the broom flew left, she leaned right and the broom flew right. After a few minutes, she was doing small figure eights a fair bit away from the other kids, whom she didn't even notice were yelling about something.

Even though she was quite enjoying her little practice session Lyssa decided it wasn't worth being caught so she touched back down and placed the broom back on the grass. It was not even a minute after she did this that Professor McGonagall marched onto the lawn and dragged Harry away for flying unsupervised. Madame Hooch returned and the lesson continued with Lyssa giving the other Slytherins no reason to insult her for her lack of magical aptitude and soon enough they were dismissed for lunch.

𝀈𝀈𝀈

The rest of the day Lyssa could not stop thinking about flying and how much fun it was. First-years weren't allowed their own brooms nor were they really picked for the house quidditch teams but Lyssa wanted to fly. All day she thought about how she could get good enough to play quidditch the next year. By the time dinner rolled around Lyssa had decided that she would liberate one of the school brooms and practice on the quidditch pitch while everyone was eating.