The Electives

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Lyssa and Milicent got up early on Thursday morning to eat breakfast. Their first class of the school year was divination in the North Tower and they only knew how to get there in theory. So with plenty of time to spare before the first bell the two of them navigated their way to the class.

They were the first ones there so they made small talk as more of their classmates joined them on the landing. It was interesting to see who showed up for the class, with five electives to choose from there was no point only having two houses per class and so divination was a mix of all four houses. When the final students arrived the trapdoor on the ceiling above them swung open and a silvery ladder descended from the hole.

"After you." Milicent gestured and Lyssa made her way up the ladder. The rest of the students followed her up and they moved to take their seats.

The classroom was very odd. There were many bookshelves and china cabinets lining the walls and instead of desks there were round tables accompanied by armchairs and poufs. The curtains were all drawn across the rain splattered windows and so the room was very dim. There was also an odd perfumey scent that Lyssa could not place.

Milicent and Lyssa chose a pair of poofy armchairs at a table near one of the windows, hoping that maybe they could get some light and were soon joined by Isobel who claimed she refused to sit with Malfoy and his goons.

Soon their professor, an odd spindly woman named Trelawney, appeared and introduced them to the class. She told them that this subject was very hard and books won't take you very far. She also made a few predictions off the cuff, all of which seemed vague and unfounded. Except when she predicted that Neville would break a tea cup, which was probably more of an astute observation than anything.

"If she's right and clairvoyance can't really be taught, then why on earth is it a class?" Lyssa huffed as the three girls got settled with their tea.

"Beats me," Milicent shrugged, "But my brother said it was an easy A."

"Yeah I bet as long as we do the homework we'll be fine," Isobel added. Lyssa hadn't really spoken to Isobel much before but she had been acting very nice to Lyssa since the train ride. Whatever the reason, Lyssa wasn't going to question it.

They all drained their tea relatively fast and turned them upside down as they were instructed. They passed their cups in a circle so they all had someone else's and began their predictions.

Lyssa found a wonky star in Isobel's cup which the book said meant good luck. Isobel was pretty sure Milicent's cup had a mountain, which meant a powerful friend, but Lyssa argued it could also be a triangle which was also just good luck. Milicent was sure however that Lyssa's cup had a cross in it which meant trials and suffering.

"Well let's hope that powerful friend of yours is me if that's true," Lyssa joked.

It was at that moment that their attention was drawn to a commotion across the room. Professor Trelawney was reading Harry's cup. She was rattling of a list of terrible omens before she dropped it in fear.

"My dear boy." Her already bug-like eyes widened even larger if possible, "you have the grim."

Everyone flipped through their books to find that symbol. When Lyssa found it she slid her textbook to the middle of the table. A giant spectral dog that haunts churchyards. It is an omen of death.

After a few moments of arguing among the Gryffindors and Trelawney the class was dismissed.

The Slytherins and Hufflepuffs who were in divination made their way to charms together before being joined by the rest of their houses. The lesson consisted mostly of review and Lyssa found it rather boring.