The Philosopher's Stone

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

The fun began bright and early on that fateful morning. It started with the large crash of whatever Pansy and her cronies had used to barricade the door being shoved out of the way. That was followed by the agonizing sounds of the enchanted alarm clock filling the hallways of the dormitories. Then all hell broke loose.

Pansy and Daphne were screaming at the tops of their lungs, shouting all the very nasty things they were planning on doing to her. Milicent and Isobel had their hands over their ears and were crying that the clock just wouldn't stop. The rest of the Slytherin house then began to file into the hallways cursing whoever was making all the noise at this ungodly hour. Everyone was screaming and shouting at each other while Lyssa just sat in the corner watching the mayhem unfold, she even spied Malfoy having a good chuckle off to the side as well. The only thing that made the whole production even more entertaining than it already was for Lyssa, was the fact that everyone was dressed in pyjamas.

"WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU ALL THINK YOU'RE DOING?" Professor Snape had entered the Slytherin common room and as he shouted at his students his volume was much louder than Lyssa thought possible. Everybody froze. The room had gone silent. Well, it would have been silent if not for the continued ringing of Lyssa's clock. "What is that noise?" Snape asked the room.

"Oh I'm so sorry Professor," Lyssa spoke up from her corner of the common room, "I was locked out of my dorm last night and couldn't turn off my alarm clock this morning." She shrugged as if it wasn't that big a deal. Maybe, it wouldn't have been if the alarm hadn't still been ringing and getting progressively louder.

"Well if you don't mind Miss Wiley," Snape addressed her, "Go and turn it off!" he shouted. Lyssa skipped into her dorm room and retrieved the clock from its place on the floor beside a few very large textbooks. She waved her wand over the clock and it silenced. Lyssa placed the clock in her pocket and returned to the common room, highly aware of the many stares she was receiving.

"Everyone out!" Snape commanded but the gaze he had set on Lyssa told her he was not talking to her. "Not you," he looked at Lyssa's dormmates and they stopped in their tracks, "My office, now." The five girls followed Snape out of the common room and down the hall to his office. He closed the door behind them with a flick of his wand and sat behind his desk. "Explain," he said simply.

Lyssa waited for Pansy to respond, it would be much more satisfying to catch her in a lie than to outright accuse her of wrongdoing.

"We didn't know that Lyssa wasn't there when we went to bed last night," Pansy whined, "She usually goes to bed before us and we just didn't notice."

"That would be well enough Miss Parkinson but may I ask why you thought she was there when you knew she had an overnight detention?" Snape asked Pansy. Lyssa was contented to realize that she might not even have to be the one to catch Pansy lying.

"We didn't know, Professor Snape, honestly," Daphne pipped up.

"Really, Miss Greengrass?" Snape turned to look at her. "I was quite sure I overheard Mr. Malfoy tell you about his detention with Miss Wiley last night in my class yesterday." Daphne went quiet and shrunk under Snape's glare. "But, if you say you didn't know I'll believe you." Daphne's confidence returned and Lyssa's shoulders slumped a bit. Surely he wasn't buying this?

"Miss Wiley," Snape looked at Lyssa now, "I was not aware you were having trouble with your unlocking charms, Professor Flitwick has told me that you excel in his lessons."

"Oh, no Professor, my unlocking charms are fine." Lyssa understood now where Snape was going with this. She was more than happy to play along. "I heard the lock click open last night when I tried to get in, but I still couldn't open the door."