The Sorting Hat

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Soon enough September first had arrived and after some much-needed guidance from Shelly, Lyssa and her dad had made it to platform 9¾. She had already said her goodbyes to her mum and brother at home as her parents couldn't find anyone to watch her brothers. Her dad squeezed her hand as they approached the scarlet steam train.

"Don't forget about us muggles while you're off on your grand adventures." Her dad teased. There were tears in his eyes and Lyssa couldn't help but feel guilty about leaving.

"I'll tell you all about them at Christmas," she joked trying to break the tension. Her dad kneeled down beside her and wrapped his arms around her small frame. "I love you, Dad," Lyssa whispered.

"I love you too, Lys," He stood up releasing Lyssa much sooner than he wanted to. Not one for long goodbyes Lyssa took this as her cue to climb aboard the train, waving back at him one last time before she disappeared.

Lyssa stalked down the cars of the train, she watched as friends reunited and climbed their way into the compartments each one giving off a grand laughter that made Lyssa a little bit more sure of herself as she searched for an empty compartment. Finally, a little past the middle of the train Lyssa found an empty compartment and hauled herself and her bag into it. She pulled out a book she had bought in Diagon Alley, it was a summary of the last hundred years in wizarding Britain and though Lyssa had already read it cover to cover a couple of times it felt important to her that she knew these things. This was probably because a full-blown war had ended no more than ten years ago and that seemed like the kind of thing that might get mentioned. Lyssa had no intentions of looking like an idiot in front of her classmates who would likely know a lot more about this stuff than she did.

Just after the train started moving a small pudgy boy with brown hair opened the door to the compartment. "Can I sit with you?" He asked. It occurred to Lyssa that while this boy seemed rather meek to put it lightly she probably shouldn't turn down opportunities to make friends quite yet.

"Yeah, sure." Lyssa smiled and replaced her bookmark between the pages of her book. "My name's Lyssa."

"N-Neville," he stuttered, "And this is Trevor." He lifted his hands slightly showing off a brown toad Lyssa hadn't realized he was holding. She probably wouldn't have let him in if she had seen it, she found it kind of vile.

"Well he's, something," Lyssa forced, she didn't want to be mean; the boy already seemed as though he might combust if she looked at him too hard. Neville didn't seem to notice Lyssa's distaste for his pet and relaxed a bit. Soon they were making casual conversation about what they were expecting upon arrival.

Neville seemed to know a lot about Hogwarts but it wasn't till he mentioned that his last name was Longbottom that it clicked that he was a pureblood. She recognized his name from a list in her book. Lyssa decided that while she may not like Neville very much, in the long run, having a pureblood friend would vastly increase her knowledge of wizards faster than any book. So for now he will stay.

It wasn't long before another face joined them. This time it was a young girl with bushy brown hair and buck teeth. She didn't even ask if she was welcome before sitting herself beside Neville and across from Lyssa.

"I'm Hermione Granger, it's so nice to meet you," she said a little too excitedly for Lyssa's taste but to each their own. Lyssa also began to wonder who this girl thought she was, having never met another kid who felt that it was important that they introduce themselves with both their first and last name. "I'm trying to meet as many of the first years as possible," Hermione explained, "That way when we're sorted I'll hopefully know some of the people in my house already." The bushy-haired girl didn't even think to ask them their names before she asked, "What house do want to be in?"