Brooms, Books, and Brawls

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Lyssa's summer was decidedly terrible. It had started out okay, Lyssa had come out at the top of her year and even her mum congratulated her on her exceptional grades. But two days after she returned home Lyssa's parents received an owl explaining the incident with the philosopher's stone, particularly, Lyssa's involvement in it. That's when the arguments started. At first, her parents fought in harsh whispers behind closed doors. But, it wasn't long before the whispers evolved into shouts that Lyssa had no problems hearing.

"I told you that magic was dangerous!" Mrs. Wiley would shout.

"Everyone was safe in the end," Mr. Wiley would counter, "Lyssa did a very noble thing."

"They were safe this time Colin!" Mrs. Wiley wouldn't yield, "Tell me, how safe can their world really be if the last line of defence against wizard Hitler is our twelve-year-old?" She had a point, but neither would give an inch.

Mr. Wiley was certain that the safest place for Lyssa was at Hogwarts, while Mrs. Wiley thought that if they got Lyssa out now they would all be safe. They went back and forth at all hours until the day Lyssa's school supply list came by Owl. That day Lyssa finally put in her two cents. She told her parents that last year was a fluke, that her education should be up to her, and that most importantly she felt safe at Hogwarts. Luckily, her mother finally admitted defeat.

She couldn't stay away now anyways, now that she knew what was possible, she would never be able to return to her life as a muggle. Hogwarts might not be entirely sunshine and rainbows but it was the gateway to the rest of her life as a witch.

Not even the day after Lyssa's book list arrived so did another owl bearing a small handwritten note. The envelope was addressed to Lyssa Wiley

Can you be in Diagon Alley next Wednesday? I need to go over some quidditch proposals with you. I need you there around 10 am. Send your reply back with Gordon. - Flint

Lyssa found this rather odd. She knew Flint was still the quidditch captain but she didn't know what could be going on that he needed to see her in person on summer holidays. She hadn't even spoken to him since their conversation on the train. Lyssa was also questioning how he had found out where she lived. She threw all these thoughts aside, however, deciding that if Flint needed something it was probably important.

Lyssas quickly ran downstairs and confirmed with her father that she could be there that day before she hastily scrawled her reply and tied it to Gordon's leg. He flew off into the distance and she returned to her summer reading.

"Gordon is a very odd name for an owl," Lyssa mused as she settled in to finish the potions book that Professor Snape had given her before she left. To give her more of an edge the next year, he had said.

𝀈𝀈𝀈

The next Wednesday Lyssa sat at a small table in the Leaky Cauldron and waited for Flint. He appeared right at ten in a puff of smoke in the fireplace.

"Wiley, good you're here!" He walked right over and clapped her on the shoulder.

"I said I would be Flint," Lyssa shrugged his hand off her.

"Now I don't have a lot of time to prep you for this okay, so just be quiet and follow my lead," Flint was talking quieter now and before Lyssa could even question what he meant a voice called out from behind them.

"Ah young Mr. Flint, wonderful to see you." The pair turned slowly towards the voice which belonged to a tall man with long white blond hair dressed in all black. Lyssa momentarily wondered who he was until she saw who he was accompanied by.