012

chapter twelve
colour wars

Dylan was in a deep sleep, a state of pure bliss

Dylan was in a deep sleep, a state of pure bliss. After all the exhaustion, hurt feelings and confusion, she had finally crashed. And Dylan loved her sleep, more than anything else in the world.

However, the universe always seemed to mess things up, because she was snapped right out of that state by an air horn.

The sound echoed from far away, but it was still loud. Dylan's eyes snapped open and she shot up from her bed, glancing around the cabin in a panic, suddenly on high alert. She could see the other girls in the Honeycomb cabin doing the same thing. An air horn wasn't the way to wake up the campers – Maddox stuck to using her bugle every morning, and she was still in her bunk. So, who was interrupting her sleep?

"Rise and shine, Shallow Lake!" Corbin Bleu's voice shouted.

Oh. So that's who she had to kill.

"He's out of his mind." Kourtney mumbled, getting out of her bed. She put on her slippers and walked towards the door. "He's out of his mind."

Dylan rolled her eyes in annoyance and fell backwards. She rolled over in her bunk and buried her face in the pillow, extremely upset that she had been woken up before she needed to.

"I'm never waking up early ever again." Dylan stated, her voice muffled.

"Dyl, we still have like three more days of camp."

"After camp, you'll never see me before noon." Dylan stated.

Kourtney came back a couple of minutes later, only to tell them that they were doing something called Colour War, which was a tradition at Camp Shallow Lake. It was basically a day full of sports and activities for the campers and they all had to meet at the amphitheatre at eight.

Luckily, Dylan had managed to fall asleep once again. Once it was an appropriate time, Kourtney woke the girl up and Maddox starting telling all of them what sort of activities they had and what to expect. And that's why Dylan asked her to come to the basketball court with her to practica basketball – after all, Maddox had the most experience.

Dylan was a natural dancer, she could turn and jump like no other, she was always coordinated when it came to routines. However, there was little other sports she could play well.

Dylan dribbled the ball and threw it up in the air. She stared at the ball as it went through the hoop first time, her mouth dropping. "Oh my god."

"See! What do you need me for?" Maddox exclaimed.

"I am a real life Troy Bolton." Dylan teased with a small laugh.

"Remember to tuck your elbow in and you'll make every shot like that." Maddox advised.

"Thank you for coming out here with me. I really appreciate it, even if I don't need as much help as I thought."

"You shouldn't sell yourself short." Maddox told her. "You're really good at like everything."