I Used to be Naive 🧅

I used to believe in mystical dragons that soared in the skies above. They were the rulers of the skies. An unstoppable force that could destroy anyone who dared to defy their authority. Powerful beings that only the bravest warriors could defeat. Then I learned that they only existed in fairytales. I should've known that something as truly fearsome as a dragon could never be real.

I used to believe that everyone had an angel who would watch over them and protect them from harm. They would watch from above as you took your first step, as you said your first word, as you made your first friend. The angel cheers you on as you get your first job and comforts you when you lose it. They'll catch you when you fall and be the warm light in the never ending darkness. They would never abandon you, or hurt you, or make you feel like you don't belong. The angel shields you from the danger, and the pain, and the suffering that comes with life. When the time comes for you to pass on, your angel would lay with you and guide your soul to the great beyond. Then I realized that nobody could protect me from the harsh world in which I live. I should've known that a constant and unconditional friend could never exist.

I used to believe that life was one big fun adventure. I could create my own story and meet all kinds of different people. I thought I would travel the great big world and experience the vast amount of different cultures. Then I found out how cruel the world could be. I should have known that adventures always end in tragedies.

I used to believe in happily ever afters, like the ones in the story books. That no matter what hardships the hero faced or pain they had to endure, the good guys always won. They fought vigorously to defeat the enemy and protect the ones they love most. The story books always said that good will always prevail against evil. Then I saw first hand just how powerful a villain can truly be. I should've known that even the brightest light can't destroy the coldest darkness.

I used to believe that good people existed. The ones who help anyone they see who is struggling no matter what they look like or what they've done. People who genuinely cared for others' wellbeing and will do everything they can to see you smile. People who are kind and considerate of others. People that treat others like human beings instead of disgusting pieces of garbage like everyone else. Then I saw just how little people care for other human beings like themselves. I should've known that no human could ever truly care for another living being.

I used to be naive.

Then I grew up.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I quickly sit up, startled by the sound of someone pounding on our front door. Mom paused the show we were watching as a family. My parents immediately looked at each other, a silent understanding passed between them. It was a wordless conversation, just like the ones they always shared, and yet entirely different.

Mom grabs my hand and pulls me towards my room while Dad walks to the front door. "We're going to play a little game." Mom tells me as she opens my closet door. Excitement fills me up. I love playing games!

"You have to stay in this closet until either Dad or I open the door. We're going to try to trick you into coming out by playing loud noises and shouting, but under no circumstances will you come out. If you do then you lose. Okay?" Mom explains to me. This sounds like a strange game to me, but I don't want to lose.

"I won't! I will win this game because I'm awesome at playing games!" I declare confidently. A sad smile forms on Mom's face.

"Yes you are. I love you Peter." Mom tells me, but her voice sounded sad. Why would she be sad when we are playing a new game?